Friday, July 05, 2013

Portrait Artists, East Center Street

Here are two fun photos taken a few years apart over on East Center Street, where portrait artists rendered likenesses in pastels for a unique souvenir.

This first one is from August 1965 and features an elegant young lady doing her darnedest to stay still. It's not easy! The artist is working on a double portrait, and from what I can see, he has captured the woman's likeness pretty well. A partially obscured Main Street cast member (with the long skirt) can be seen just over her shoulder.


Now we'll jump ahead to July 1968, for a remarkably similar shot. This time the artist's subject is a young lady with a distinctly more "mod" look. She has an umbrella... maybe it was to keep the hot July sun off (a hat would ruin her "That Girl" flip). I wish we could see more of the portrait (another double)!


8 comments:

Pegleg Pete said...

The woman in the first photo reminds me a bit of Sally Fields – but a little older looking than she was then. Of course at that point in time Ms Fields was flying around San Juan in her nun's habit and getting into all kinds of scrapes rather than hanging out at the happiest place on earth.

Pegleg Pete said...

Oops – I've gotten my dates mixed up. At the time of the first photo Ms Fields hadn't yet taken her vows and was still surfing the beaches of Southern California and getting into all kinds of scrapes as Gidget. It was a long strange ride to the White House.

Nancy said...

I am seeing a brunette Lesley Gore in the second image ;-)

I have never had this done, and I dont even know why. Maybe someday I will....

Melissa said...

Are these from the same collection? The two subjects look like they might be related - sisters or cousins?

The first young lady looks like a perfect blend of Sally Field and Natalie Wood.

Nanook said...

Definitely a cross btwn. Sally Field and Natalie Wood; and in the second pic - Lesley Gore. Also note the turquoise blue/black/white splatter paint job on the adjustable lamps.

Thanks, Major.

Major Pepperidge said...

Pegleg Pete, today seems to be Sally Field Appreciation Day! Sally needs to write in, I'm sure she's a reader. I'm still surprised that she managed to get to the White House, considering her days running with the Bandit.

Nancy, I know who Lesley Gore is, but I had to Google her to see what she looked like. Some pix really do show a resemblance!

Melissa, both photos were taken by the same person, but I think he just liked taking pictures of pretty girls; I doubt that these women were related. Somehow when I looked at the first woman I thought of a young Mary Tyler Moore, but maybe not?

Nanook, I noticed the spatterware lamps, they remind me of my Grandma in Minnesota. She had a bit soup pot that looked like that. Notice that the artists wore red (pink?) robes, I'll bet they were Satan worshippers.

Anonymous said...

My folks have a pastel of me done in the late 50s.

Anonymous said...

I love these! Both women are s chic! Lovely!