Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Miscellaneous Souvenirs

Here's a real oddball selection of Disneyland souvenirs from not-so-long ago. I've had these pictures in a folder for years, and finally decided it was time to use them.

Star Tours opened to great acclaim in early 1987, though there had been soft openings in late 1986. One of my favorite pieces of ephemera is this barf bag! Some people have told me that these bags were handed to guests only on the attraction's opening day (January 9, 1987), others have said that they were given out for a few days, or even a few weeks. Does anybody out there know the real story?


This next object has to be among the newest in my collection, and possibly the only item from Disney's California Adventure. A friend of mine went when the park first opened in February 2001; lots of DCA merchandise featured the image of "Grizzly Peak", and this postcard is related to that attraction, showing the friendly face of a grizzly 'bar. The front of the card is covered in thick, fuzzy fur! The other facial details appear to be embroidered. I'm very grateful that my friend bought this for me, because I have never seen one for sale since, even on ebay.


I love the graphics on this paper cup! They are a perfect match for my 1967 popcorn box. Now this is ephemera! Somehow it didn't wind up crushed underfoot or in one of those jolly trash receptacles scattered around the park. I believe that this design was used for several years; doesn't the castle look more like Cinderella Castle from Florida? And yet, as I have already pointed out, the design dates back to at least '67.


Here's another paper cup, the same exact size as the previous example. This one dates back to 1980, from Disneyland's 25th anniversary.


I hope you have enjoyed today's assortment of stuff!

13 comments:

K. Martinez said...

I have the fuzzy fur postcard. In fact I have quite a few DCA postcards and still collect them. Nothing compared to my Disneyland postcard collection though.

I like the barf bag. I've never seen one in person.

Nancy said...

Very cool! I collect postcards from Walt Disney World and have a few from Disneyland, but no old ones.

I save stuff like napkins and cups, too. Good to know I am not too weird....lol!

Thanks for sharing these beauties :-)

Pegleg Pete said...

Great items today. I particularly like the cup with the colourful castle image. Thanks for posting them.

Major Pepperidge said...

K. Martinez, very cool that you have one of the bear postcards! Of course they must have made many thousands, but I sure don't see them come up for sale now. Like you, I have a BIG Disneyland postcard collection.

Nancy, it's the odd stuff that people usually throw away, like napkins and cups, that could become rare collectibles in years to come.

Pegleg Pete, glad you liked these!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that '67 cup brings back memories for sure.

You have some neat stuff, Major.

I don't know anyone with a souvenir barf bag.

JG

Melissa said...

Ain't it a glorious day?
Clean as a Lysol soufflé!
I feel like I could spin.
'Ave you ever seen
A can so clean,
Or a neater bin?

It's jolly trash receptacles with Disney,
Disney makes the garbage quaint.
While other cans are gray and ordinary,
They doll ‘em up with lilac paint!
Flower beds are bloomin’ all around ‘em
The daffodils, they smile as you dispose.
When Disney takes your trash, you feel so flash,
You plumb forget they also took your cash,
Those jolly trash receptacles from Disney,
Our jolly odds and ends wherein we throws!

Now, then, what'd be grand?
We'll start in Fantasyland:
They’re brown, with pretty flow’rs.
Chuck in what you will;
When they get filled,
They’re cleaned by magic pow’rs.

It's jolly trash receptacles with you, Walt;
Rubbish pails like yours are few.
The flaps on Toontown cans are nearly cobalt,
But at the Tiki Room - bamboo!
We’d wander ankle-deep in filth and carrion
Without the charming barrels that collect.
There’s only one defect I can detect -
Your cups are just too cute to thus eject
In your jolly trash receptacles with you, Walt;
In your jolly trash receptacles with you!

PsySocDisney said...

I think the size of the cups from that era of Disneyland are so fascinating, that size just wouldn't cut it for the mega-sized portions we consume today. Same with the old popcorn boxes. They would be considered kid-sized today, if anything! Thanks for sharing!!

TokyoMagic! said...

I love old Disneyland cups!

Here are a few from my collection: Vintage Disneyland Cups

TokyoMagic! said...

And here are some newer ones:

More Disneyland Cups

Major Pepperidge said...

JG, it's funny, that cup seems to be getting all the love! I guess a lot of us remember actually holding one, so many years ago.

Melissa, holy moly, I should hire you to write this blog! You are a thousand times more creative than I am. It's impossible to read your lyrics without hearing Dick Van Dyke's "cockney" accent. Plus, there can't be too many songs about Disneyland trash cans. THANKS!

PsySocDisney, I wonder if the cups came in different sizes? Maybe this is a "small". I kind of don't think so. You are right, a cup this size would elicit cries of outrage today.

TokyoMagic!, wow, that's a lotta cups! I like the design with the "fireworks" in the sky, super retro and awesome.

Snow White Archive said...

That's gotta be the most unique postcard I've ever seen. I've never come across it on ebay.

Gojira said...

Interesting stuff! I have a Star Tours tote bag from 1993 my parents bought for me because I could not go on the trip due to final exams at college. I also have a 40th Anniversary (1995) "beer" stein and 40th anniversary pens I bought in my only Disneyland visit!

Broc said...

Thanks for posting these pictures. The Star Tours barf bag is a piece I've been looking for as a gift for a friend that has a Star Tours focus collection. If anyone happens to have one they would let go of please feel free to email me at joruscboath@hotmail.com

Thanks!