Thursday, December 02, 2010

More Madurodam, September 1964

For those of you who are wondering what the heck Madurodam is, please see previous posts here, here, and here.


We've seen shipyards, amusement parks, and all kinds of other miniature wonders at Madurodam. Today we'll take a look at the bustling train yard. Below is a train station that is functional and severely modern (Mies Van Der Rohe?), nothing like the ornate stations of the pre-war era. Itty-bitty people loiter on the platform, waiting for their tiny trains to take them to their teensy jobs.


Here comes one now! Or is it going? Much like an earthworm, it's hard to tell which way it is headed.


Wedged between the airport and the train tracks is a soccer field. I can practically hear the vuvuzelas. The incredibly annoying vuvuzelas.


This photo isn't train-related, but this li'l chateau is almost as adorable as Malibu Barbie's dream house.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would be fun to walk through there in a Godzilla suit.

The Viewliner Limited said...

Fantastic pics Major. And I kind of like all the trains too! LOL! Awesome!

Katella Gate said...

I'm slightly miffed, but I won't take it out on you, personally, Major.

The first picture shows a white rail, and in the thumbnail, I got all prickly with excitement thinking is was a Euro-monorail. When I clicked on it, it turned into just an everyday handrail to keep the kids from tromping on the miniatures.

Almost false advertising. Almost.

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

I can't get over how realistic this place looks! Just needs the Green Gargantua to complete the effect.

JG said...

Interesting to see modern buildings rendered in minature. Makes Mies almost look cute.

Isn't that last house the home of a James Bond villain? I bet the roof opens up to let out an escape zeppelin.

JG

Chuck said...

I come to this site primarily to improve my vocabulary.

Major Pepperidge said...

Chuck, are you telling me that you didn't know the word "teensy"??