Friday, February 26, 2010

Madurodam, Netherlands, circa 1955

Today's slides were from a bunch taken by an army nurse back in the mid-1950's. She was stationed in Beirut (Lebanon); but she went to Italy, Greece, and the Netherlands as well. While she was in the Netherlands, she and some of her pals took a trip to see Madurodam! What the heck is Madurodam?


"Madurodam is a miniature city located in Scheveningen, The Hague. It is a model of a Dutch town on a 1:25 scale, composed of typical Dutch buildings and landmarks, as are found at various locations in the country." (So sayeth Wikipedia). The park was built in 1952, and it is said that it inspired Walt Disney to build Storybook Land.


There's something about that kid with the crutches that's so "postwar Europe". I like the ultra-modern building to the right.


This view give you a good "lay of the land"... it looks like a charming place. There's Crutches Kid again.


Here's my favorite of the bunch, a lilliputian amusement park, complete with a Ferris Wheel, carousel, a "wild mouse" roller coaster, and a few other rides too. There's even a miniature snack bar. You can see why Walt, a lover of miniatures, would have been inspired by this park!


You can still go to Madurodam today. What are you waiting for?

8 comments:

walterworld said...

Maybe that mini amusement park inspired California Adventure? Looks like all the same rides!

Chiana_Chat said...

How adorable! Ironically the older I get, the more I'm liking the Storybook Land attraction with its fantastic miniatures. Think I'd like this place!

One thing that's both fantastic and scary. You walk down the sidewalk that doubles as a "street" lined with miniature streetlamps and all. What's scary is trying to imagine people in more recent times not kicking, stomping and otherwise defacing the miniatures they're standing among.

The Viewliner Limited said...

I can tell you from experience that it is a magical place. Fantastic slides!

Andrew said...

I had never heard of this place, Major! Thanks for the post. I love lack of guard rails around the place. I agree with Chiana, my first thoughts were how did they keep the kids from running all over the display?

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Wow - I've only read about this place, NEATO vintage trip back in time - THANKS!

I just looked at some current photos that show this place is a little brighter now. Some of these vintage wide angle scenes look kinda of like war-torn Europe, crutches kid just ads to that...

Caspian said...

I went when I was three and I didn't want to leave. I do remember some of the displays were animated, but you had to put in coins to make them operate.

LD

TokyoMagic! said...

LOL Walterworld, about the mini amusement park inspiring DCA!!!!

Nancy said...

i would love to see this!

there is (or was, now ill have to go find out) a museum like this in Niagara Falls, i think it was the Seven Wonders of the World or something like that. if i ever get back and its still there, i am definitely going. the day we were there it was raining so we didnt do anything that was outside :(