Friday, December 31, 2010

The Disneyland Hotel

Today we'll take a look around the Disneyland Hotel, starting with this lovely shot taken in August, 1965. Notice how the placement of the external elevator forced them to put "Hotel Disneyland" atop the structure. There is some construction going on over to the left; thanks to Don Ballard's book about the Disneyland Hotel, I can tell you that the construction was for the Tower Annex. This addition increased the number of rooms to 616!


This next photo is from July 1968, and features some of the hotel's shops and restaurants. You can see the sign for the "Monorail Room"...


.... and a sign announcing that this was the New Exciting Plaza Shopping Center. If you need plane tickets from United, Continental, Western or American Airlines, you were in luck.

9 comments:

Magical Hotel said...

Cool shots!!

Hotel Clarks Amer said...

Some great's picture,
thanks for sharing

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

That first shot is stunning! I can't believe they removed the exterior elevator in the latest refurbishment, the hotel looks naked without it!

Rich T. said...

Great shots! Loved that Exciting Plaza Shopping Center! Who else here spent a *lot* of time in the downstairs toy store?

TokyoMagic! said...

I did, Rich T.! Wasn't the toy store called "Dumbo's Trunk" or was that another Plaza store? I also remember eating at Maisey's Pantry which was downstairs as well.

Great pics Major! Happy New Year to you!

walterworld said...

Me too---I spent a good bit of time and cash at that downstairs Toy Store. Was it named "Mickey's Toy Box" perhaps?

I remember running ahead of my parents and brother when we were leaving our hotel room and were on the way to the Monorail Station, just to get a few extra seconds to browse the toy display cases for model cars made in Germany, miniature soldiers made in England, etc. Quality goods all!!! Nothing cookie-cutter about it at all from what I can remember.

Really need that time machine right about now...

Thanks as always Major!!!

Happy New Year!!!

pixiegirltink said...

Wish I had a time machine! I'll never forget the R2D2 necklace I saw at the big Hotel gift shop (I was 12, it seemed big to me!). It was 1979 and and the pendant was pewter with movable legs. What a thrill it was to find it in a Christmas present just a few months later! Gosh I miss those good old days...

Alicia said...

I love that hotel so much... Hey. I really love this blog site showing us very clear details on places in Disney Land... You are actually helping a lot of travelers in their travel destinations. Great job!

Major Pepperidge said...

Thank you for your comments Alicia, and welcome to the blog!