Monday, December 27, 2010

Japanese Village & Deer Park, October 1969

Today I am sharing the last scans from one lot of Japanese Village slides. See the other parts here, here, and here!


This first shot is a nice one; it looks like it belongs in a souvenir guide book, but I don't know of any souvenir guide books for JV! You can see our favorite redhead checking out the colorful paper parasols in the lower right.


"Pavilion of the Doves", huh? Sounds scary, I'm not going in there. One wrong move and a flock of hungry doves will reduce you to a skeleton in less than a minute. I seen it with my own two eyes!


Those deer may the be the stars of the place, but they are humble and approachable. Especially if you have a hand full of food. I wonder if JV was open at night? My guess is "not really", except maybe in the winter months when it is dark by 5 o'clock. I'd love to see photos of it with all the lanterns lit.


When you'd had enough of those perpetually hungry deer, you could get some culture by watching a performance of traditional Japanese dancing.


For those of you who enjoyed visiting Japanese Village, never fear! I have another group of slides with some interesting images, and will share them one of these days.

6 comments:

TokyoMagic! said...

Thanks for sharing these pics, Major. I can never get enough of Japanese Village!

Nancy said...

i have definitely enjoyed the visit, and looking forward to seeing the new ones, too!

thanks :D

Katella Gate said...

Yes, you can't have too many crystal clear pictures of this perished park.

I wonder if they got their deer dropping management skills from Disneyland? That deer bin looks pristine.

Connie Moreno said...

These are a treat for me since I never got to go to JV.


hahahahaha, the security word I got for today is "piles"....of what, I wonder? Deer poop?

Chiana_Chat said...

That is easily the most attractive petting zoo I have ever seen (even better than Hef's pad, if you're Cervidae).

No, Red! The pink polka dot umbrella is cute, but you want the sky blue one in the back...

No one is playing music for the dancers? Maybe that is a pre-show and they are limbering up. Judging by the "lift" to the step of the one on our left, it better a long pre-show.

hehe look forward to more JV. :)

JG said...

Nice picture of the actual deer areas. This is what I remember most. The previous posts were mostly unfamiliar.

Thanks Major, saved the best for last.

JG