Friday, May 09, 2014

Tomorrowland, August 1963

While today's slides are stamped "August 1963", they must have been sitting in a drawer for a long time before mom or dad took them over to the Photomat. The Moonliner lost its TWA sponsorship in 1961, for crying out loud. But no matter, it's a great photo of one of my favorite features in vintage Tomorrowland! The outside is so great that I hardly even need to go inside. Not that I'm scared. I just don't feel like it. The show building is made up of various geometric shapes; spheres, truncated cones, and possibly even a dodecahedron. (OK, I lied, there is no dodecahedron).


And who doesn't love a nice look at Monorail Blue as it swoops over the Submarine Lagoon? If only it played ice cream truck music as it moved, everything would be perfect.


4 comments:

Melissa said...

Man, I love the Rocket to the Moon building, and the toothpick-and-olive streetlights in front of it!

We've had our first real warm-weather days this week, and these pictures are giving me a real get-outside-and-have some-fun jones.

K. Martinez said...

The second image was one of my favorite places to stand and watch the monorail, submarine and Tomorrowland activity. What an awesome view.

These slides were probably taken in 1961 because the TWA Moonliner(last year op. 1961) is present in the first image and the Mark II Monorails (first year op. 1961) are present in the second image.

Extra nice set today. Thanks, Major.

Major Pepperidge said...

Melissa, I wonder how much one of those mid-century light fixtures would fetch on the collector's market these days? And yet they probably were thrown in a landfill. I'm glad you have some warm weather finally!

K. Martinez, yeah, I figured 1961 mostly because of the TWA logo (which I mention in the post). It is weird that the photos weren't developed for another two years!

Nancy said...

Ill take a few of those fixtures! So cool....

Love these two pics, so shiny and bright!