Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Ocho Cientos! OCHO CIENTOS!

Eight hundred posts, zowie! I never thought I'd see the day.

Here's a beauty, a shot from December 29th, 1956 showing the fabulous Autopia. I love the bright sunshine and vivid color on this one, not to mention the glimpse of a relatively undeveloped Anaheim just over the berm. What are all those green leafy things? Perhaps they are what you hu-mans call trees. Meanwhile, kids are navigating the harrowing half clover-leaf (Easy does it! Hands at 10 and 2!) while others are coming to the end of their mini-adventure. Personally I would want that two-tone red and white car, it's a beauty. Is the girl who's driving it wearing mouse ears?


Now for a mystery photo! I don't know if this next one is a Disneyland slide, but it was in a small batch of park images (from 1957), so I am crossing my fingers that it is a rare view of something. The slide has turned a lurid magenta* , so please forgive the strange appearance. Could it be the interior of the Kodak shop on Main Street? I asked someone who might possibly remember this from the 50's, and he said he didn't recognize it. Could it be from Knott's? I really have no idea. Anyway, as you can see, there is a tableau featuring a mother and her sissy-boy son posing for an old-timey photo for an old-timey photographer. Watch the birdie! Nice lace collar, Percy. I think those mannequins were seen in a classic "Twilight Zone" episode. Marsha! If anybody out there has a clue about this photo, please chime in!

*FYI, "Lurid Magenta" is the name of my rock band, we cover Led Zeppelin songs at Mr. Grouchy's every Wednesday.


The year: 1955! The thingamabob: A genuine, bona-fide, electrified, six-car Stagecoach! I love this photo, with the little boy riding shotgun and waving at us, smiling his goofy smile. He's got his souvenir banner too! The driver is looking off towards the horizon, wondering if those thunderheads will cause a flash flood, and could that dust cloud be a massive heard of buffalo? Sometimes they take days to pass. If anybody can get these folks to the fort before nightfall, he can.


Thanks to all of the readers of "Gorillas Don't Blog", and to those of you who take the time to comment! It's been lots of fun (when I'm not going insane trying to write something about the Mark Twain for the 400th time). For now my goal is to reach 1000 posts; after that, who knows. But I'll feel like I've achieved something!

17 comments:

TokyoMagic! said...

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR 800TH POST, MAJOR!!!!!!

I think that's a little girl in the last pic holding the banner. Unless it's a little boy wearing bobby socks and saddle shoes. Hey, it's possible....

Merlinsguy said...

Congrats! 800 is a lot of posts. Not as many as 1600, which we hope you attain!

Odd, all the blogspot sites are creating phishing warnings on my McAffe software.

The Viewliner Limited said...

Congratulations Major on your 800th post. I think I will post 3 times a day to see if I can catch up with you. NOT!

Somewhere in the back of my mind I know I have seen this KODAK exhibit. Whether it is Disneyland I am not sure. But I really don't think it is Knotts.

I think I saw this area in a KODAK brochure or magazine. If I can pull the brain cells together (a feat of biblical proportions) and possibly remember, I will let you know.

daguru said...

Great shot of the old Autopia. I need to post comments more often, I simply love your blog!

Yendorb said...

Here is to 800 more! Congrats

Daveland said...

Congrats Major! It has been awesome following yours & Patrick's posts...always raising the bar!

Steve Tanner at Magical Trash said...

Congrats on the accomplishment. Your blog is a great read... even if I don't comment all the time.

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

WHOA!!! Amazing 800th post!!! Now how about 800 more - LOL!!!!

"Lurid Magenta" rocks the house!

Great work as always Major, thanks for all your efforts!

jedblau said...

Congrats and more congrats!

Jason Schultz said...

Love the first photo.

The description I have of the Kodak exhibit (this from 1959) is:

"Displays both early-day Photographic equipment and Kodak's newest developments (new equipment will be demonstrated on request)."

This doesn't get us any closer to evaluating this photo, though! Are there any exterior photos that might offer a glimpse of the floor (if there's a checkerboard pattern, we might have a match).

Paul M. Carhart said...

There does seem to be a checkerboard pattern to the floor in that shot if you view the larger version, check out the floor on the left...

Anonymous said...

Happy 800! I’ve enjoyed them all. Even the Twain and Sleeping Beauty Castle.
I love all the classic Disneyland blogs but yours consistently stands out for the most interesting images, excellent photo restorations and witty narration. This is the best fee show in town.

Matterhorn1959 said...

I would believe the Kodak display is at Disneyland, especially with the black and white tile floor. And congratulations on reaching 800 posts. Just seems like yesterday we were starting our blogs.

Disneyana World said...

You are marvelous.

walterworld said...

Nice work Major! 800 posts is an amazing feat...

Your blog is consistently interesting and I never miss a frame.

Please keep doing what you do so well!

Anonymous said...

Congrats, Major! I've actually gone back and seen all of them, so I can now say I've seen all 800 posts and I can say I enjoyed every one of them!

John Holtry said...

It is the Kodak display. Daveland has the same scene in BW from another angle. Yours is very nice and in color too.