Monday, September 01, 2008

More Tomorrowland Construction, 1966

Any time I find slides that show construction going on, I am a happy camper. But this blog isn't for me, oh no. It's for you. Yes, I'm lookin' at YOU.

The year is 1966, and Tomorrowland is going through some massive changes. By the following year it will officially become the "New Tomorrowland". But for now we see the removal (try not to weep...) of the Flight Circle, the Moonliner, the Flying Saucers, the Clock of the World, the Space Bar, the Astro Jets, 20,000 Leagues, and more.

As you can see in this photo of the Submarine Lagoon, a mysterious curving track is being built around the Autopia and Monorail. What could it be? Well here's a hint: It moves pipple. That's right, it's the Pipplemover! (That IS what it's called, right?)


I am fascinated to see that the Autopia remained open while all of this construction was going on.


To the extreme right and left you can see more wooden scaffolding for the mover of pipple!

8 comments:

TokyoMagic! said...

I L-O-V-E construction shots! Those Skyway gondolas look brand spankin' new....what year did they change from round metal to squarish fiberglass?

Matterhorn1959 said...

The Skyway buckets were changed out in 1965. The Peoplemover track was constructed first as it was the most complex part of the New Tomorrowland rides.

The Viewliner Limited said...

Great pictures. Happy Labor Day.

mr wiggins said...

Great shots major! As a teen in the 60's, my Disneyland years were divided into two eras: waiting to be tall enough to reach the Autopia sign so I could drive it solo; and waiting for my kid brother to be tall enough to reach the Atopia sign and drive it solo so I'd have somebody to slam into. When the Peoplemover construction started, he'd heard from somebody in his grade school that the new track was for the Autopia -- that we'd drive around Tomorrowland on an elevated freeway. I'm embarrassed to say that he had me believing it too.

Being a DL geek pre-internet. It was like a Living Death.

spajadigit said...

These pictures of the new Tomorrowland are ahhhsome! I LOVE the sub lagoon and these pictures show it off really well.

Anonymous said...

OMG you're still looking at me! eek!

hehe ah the Pipplemover. How lonely the track today, and unmoved the Pipple are!

Anonymous said...

Outstanding photos. I miss the old "military gray" subs, the "yellow submarine" silliness never looked good to me.

Anonymous said...

Mindblowing, Tell me if i can put these on my page http://www.seattlecityguide.net, may be I'll put it shortly if u dont mind..

Thanx