Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Flyin' Saucers! July 1961

It's another "short but sweet" post today, folks!

Here's a nice shot of the Flying Saucers attraction, with great vivid colors. This is one ride that I think I might enjoy watching more than riding (although I DO want to experience that hovering sensation)... to be honest I am just not that much into people crashing into me. Call me crazy.

A new version of this ride will be going into Disney's California Adventure; instead of hovering in a flying saucer, you will be hovering in a .... flying tire? It makes no sense, but perhaps that doesn't really matter if it is fun enough. I'm not sure if it will still be a gussied-up bumper car ride, but time will tell.

9 comments:

TokyoMagic! said...

Yeah, I'm not wild about the whole bumping thing either, Major, so the "flying tire" ride at DCA doesn't excite me too much. Hopefully the other "Carsland" ride won't disappoint.

Daveland said...

Leaping Lizards! A gorgeous color Flying Saucer pic and only one comment? You should have photoshopped a JC hippo in there to see if everyone is awake. Nice shot, Major!

Major Pepperidge said...

Ha, that's a good idea Dave! I'm already trying to think of something to do for my next April 1 picture, and I'm drawing a blank. Well, I do have ONE OK idea...!

outsidetheberm said...

Yes... hippos, many more hippos...

(My take on the saucers? A rather frustrating ride experience. Just look at the determination on those guests faces as they struggle to make the darn things move. It was removed for good reason.)

... but hippos on the other hand...

Anonymous said...

If you didn't ride it, don't knock it. Some of best fun was just skimming across the surface at a fairly high rate of speed.

outsidetheberm said...

anonymous - Who said they didn't ride it?
If you got to skim across the surface at a high rate of speed consider yourself lucky.

Anonymous said...

I must have been lucky...frequently! :)

Anonymous said...

Aw Major, TM, you're no fun at bumper cars eh? Weeell I'd wager ya just might've found the Flying Saucers more your cup of um...flight!

capndad1 said...

I rode the saucers in 1964 when I was 11 years old. It took a bit of finesse to make them go. You had to keep very rigid in your seat and lean just a bit in the direction you wanted to go, especially if you were tall like I was.
You can imagine what it was like if you sit bolt upright in your chair. Now barely move your shoulders away from the chair back and that would do it. It was a lot like thinking yourself into motion.