Sunday, August 28, 2016

Weird Color From Fantasyland, July 1966

A few years ago I acquired a batch of slides from 1966; about half of them had turned a vibrant shade of blue-violet. And in spite of all of my efforts (which were considerable) I never could get them looking good - in part because they were also very dark. Which makes them perfect for a Sunday.

Gliding over Fantasyland we see the familiar Pirate Ship. It looks great any time, but it was at its best when the sails were unfurled, in all their striped glory! See that round thing in the foreground? I'm guessing it's an oarlock. What else could it be. How about that weird greenish/cyan sky? It gives me a case of the horribles.


I probably should have posted this one first, but it is so gray and dreary that it has been bumped to second place. I'm going to jump out of my Skyway bucket and attempt to land in that crow's nest. What's the worst that could happen?


Back on terra firma we get a second look at the stripiest stripes that ever... um.. striped. The guy in the red shirt is giving us the stink eye, but all Star Trek fans know that his days are numbered. The foliage in the background is nice, it had really matured over the past 11 years.


8 comments:

Nanook said...

Major-

Well, the colors may not be the greatest, but I still think they can easily "pass". The second image is a gem, with Skull Rock staring right at us, and the 'Wall-o-Small World' ® wallpapering the background. What's to complain about, I ask you-?

Thanks, Major.

Steve DeGaetano said...

I was gonna say the "oarlock" in the first photo was really a gun sight, taking aim at that blue and yellow umbrella, but it actually appears to be just a double-sided hand grab:

https://c5.staticflickr.com/3/2628/4084992500_ef04aa6768.jpg

Melissa said...

Just don't go into Room 237 at the Oarlock Hotel.

The designers of this area realized that there's no such thing as too many stripes. So did all those guests wearing plaid shirts and dresses, plaid being the most efficient way to cram more stripes onto a garment. Now I'm off to find a Sharpie and a tabby cat.

Unknown said...

I wonder if Ektachrome used to change to bluish hues. It might be my fevered brow confusing the color of the packaging...

Melissa, your mind works in wonderful ways. (Oarlock Hotel, hee). And I own a lot of Sharpies and I'm not afraid to use them.

The pirate ship, of course, used its sails to make way when the currents got strong enough to strain the ship too heavily against her moorings. You can see the strong currents on this day kicking up a bow wave against the prow...

Major Pepperidge said...

Nanook, complaining is what I do best! Like Tiggers and bouncing.

Steve DeGaetano, I didn’t REALLY think that it was an oarlock. I was pretty sure it was a grab handle. But thanks for the photo link!

Melissa, I just finished reading a book about Kubrick. If only I had seen the traveling exhibit of his stuff - I believe it is currently in San Francisco. The best way to always be fashionable is to wear one garment with stripes, one with polka dots, and one with plaid (or paisley, in a pinch).

Patrick Devlin, the slides might have been Ektachrome, I’ve put them away and am too lazy to go find them again. With the exception of the original Kodachrome, it is interesting to see that some films fade to pink, some to blue, and some to yellow. For some reason I find the pink ones to be the easiest to restore. You joke about the sails on the pirate ship, but I actually wonder how much stress they might have put on the structure when a breeze kicked up. My guess is that the sails would have to be reefed in a hurry.

Nanook said...

Major-

And what's wrong with bouncing-??!!

Melissa said...

The wonderful thing about the Major is he's the only one.

Major Pepperidge said...

Nanook, there's nothing wrong with bouncing!

Melissa, they broke the mold when they made me... and doused it with holy water, and then burned it.