Monday, February 20, 2012

Photo Fun, 1956

Way back in nineteen fitty-six, right near the Red Wagon Inn, there were several plywood cutout displays that provided a fun "photo op" for guests.


Here's one featuring Dopey, probably the most popular Dwarf among kids (with Grumpy not far behind, according to my entirely made-up research). This kid is really getting into the part. He was "method" just like Brando.

This Davy Crockett display is pretty awesome; the kid appears to be looking right at the b'ar. Notice the little step stool in the lower right so that shorter humans could get their faces up to the hole.
If I could only choose one display for my "fun photo", it would be this 20,000 Leagues painting! Who wouldn't want to pretend to be exploring the ocean depths (and finding chests full of gold doubloons!) with Captain Nemo?

And finally, Mickey's pal Pluto gives a cowpoke a friendly slurp. The cowboy reminds me of Stinky Pete from "Toy Story 2".

7 comments:

Nancy said...

this is the first time I have ever seen or heard about these....so neat! I like that they are black & white photos, makes them look sort of dream-like for some reason to me. dont know why, I just like it!

Katella Gate said...

Kodos and Kang say these always turn out best when the Hew-mans react like they're the character in the set up. (Davy Crocket is the winner in this batch).

The worst are the people who just blandly simile for the birdy. Come on folks, you didn't need a Disney cutout to do that.

Do you guys realize that not only do I have imaginary Simpsons friends, I am now scolding dead people? I blame Major and his monomaniacal gorilla-laced blog.

Irene said...

In my home movies from Aug. 1955 my brother is hamming it up in the cut out of Dopey. Other than that, this is the first time I've seen other photos of these cut outs. Awesome!

thepicklebarrel said...

so weird how the davy crockett and nemo shots look like the cut-outs are in someone's back yard...

Connie Moreno said...

Those are SO cool!

Melissa said...

I remember sticking my head out through a space suit at NASA. The picture turned out to have red eye, and I looked like an invading alien.

Snow White Archive said...

That Dopey kid is hamming it up. Pretty cool. :)