Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Baloo & Louis

"The Jungle Book" was the last animated feature that Walt Disney was personally involved with; it opened in 1967 to huge success! In this photo from 1970, Baloo and King Louie (arguably two of the most popular characters from The Jungle Book) confront each other somewhere in Adventureland. I think one of them has a switchblade! Why don't they solve their differences with a "dance-off" the way everyone else does?



Now we hop forward to the 1980's (when I had my "Flock of Seagulls" hairdo) for a look at "America Sings". There's the Swamp Boys, performing "Polly Wolly Doodle" in the first act of this all Audio-Animatronic show. I confess that I was not a big fan of America Sings - I missed my "Carousel of Progress" too much!

7 comments:

Melissa said...

I love the look on the stripeshirt kid's face. He doesn't know what to make of the whole confrontation. (Also, I think he has to go to the bathroom.)

Anonymous said...

I love the bear and the monkey, Louis Prima as King Louie is probably one of Disney's most inspired casting decisions ever.

I dont remember who did Baloo, but he was equally perfect in the role.

Guessing this is right in front of what is now the Bengal BBQ, if not mistaken, except I dont recall those big doors? Are they still there?

JG

David said...

I too am fascinated by the kid in the background and his dad (hopefully) dressed to the 9's in his fabulous white pants and bright yellow shirt!

A fashion statement that could not be pulled off today.

But the look on the boys face resembles some I see today. More like, should I be happy or freaked out beyond belief?

Major Pepperidge said...

Melissa, I agree that the kid's body language is hilarious!

JG, Phil Harris (of "Jack Benny" fame, among other things) did the voice of Baloo!

David, the yellow and white combination seems perfect for 1970, somehow. As for the kid, I'm guessing that Baloo and Louis were performing some sort of dance routine (maybe), so the boy was probably watching happily, wondering what they would do next.

Anonymous said...

Those "big doors" is the entrance to the backstage break and office area between Adventure/Frontierland. It's across from the treehouse. Sunkist is on the right, AJ's is to the left. This is the recollection of a Jungle skipper from that time.

Omnispace said...

I felt the same way about America Sings. It just didn't seem to be "worthy" of replacing Carousel of Progress -- not to mention the loss of the Progress City model and the "world's fair" quality of the original show. Still, it was good just to be able to ride the carousel theater and enjoy a nice show.

Tinker Bell said...

You are just plain funny! It does look like they're about to "rumble". Love it!