Thursday, February 16, 2012

Along Main Street, June 1969

Welcome to blur-o-rama! Featuring two views from Main Street USA, circa 1969.

The Omnibus cruises slowly past "Rings and Things". Hey! I need two rings and four or five things! That's the store for me. Next to that is a cookie shop of some kind. Any idea what the full name was? It isn't on my list of Main Street shops, and therefore it never actually existed.


There are those nutty Dapper Dans on their bicycle built for four. I would be more impressed with a unicycle built for four. Note that the building in the background (former home to the Wurlitzer store) houses an exhibit entitled "Walt Disney - A Legacy For The Future". Inside you would find (among other things) a display of Walt's many awards - Oscars, Emmys, and various plaques and medals. You could also see the desk that Walt sat at in first grade at Park School in Marceline, Missouri (complete with his carved initials). And there was also a 10 minute film that gave a brief overview of the many accomplishments that Walt achieved in his lifetime. This exhibit closed on February 11 1973.

6 comments:

D ticket said...

Rings and Things, and Burry's Cookie Shop (formerly Swift Butcher Shop) are the location of present day Disneyana Shop.

Connie Moreno said...

Wow, those are cool!!! And so odd in a way.

ACK and what's with this new double security word on all the blogs? I don't like it.

TokyoMagic! said...

I remember my mom always liked to stop in Rings & Things and in the meantime my brother and I would be bored!

I'm with Connie on the security word thing. And it's those "wavy" distorted words which are often difficult to read.

Unknown said...

I'd forgotten all about the Burry Cookies! We always dragged our folks in there (and the Candy Palace)! My mom used to buy Burry Cookies and Scooter Pies. Mr. Chip chocolate chip cookies, with an outline of a guy on the box, and Gauchos peanut butter cookies, with a cartoon elephant (which was my mom's favorite). And my sister would sell Girl Scout Cookies, which were made by Burrys (esp. loved the chocolate mints!). I remember they had a cartoon rock group (1967, 68?) in their commercials. And the slogan "They're Burry Burry good!" -- Mike Douglas

Major Pepperidge said...

Unknown, I only vaguely remember Burry cookies. Scooter Pies? Why did I never get those when I was a kid? I don't even know what they are, but I assume marshmallow is involved.

Unknown said...

I think Burrys was bought out by Keebler? Maybe early 1970s? At some point we just had Nabisco or Mothers cookies that my Mom bought. Scooter Pies were basically moon pies, with the cookie top and bottom and the marshmallow in the middle, then coated with chocolate (or vanilla, or my personal favorite -- banana!). As a kid they seemed huge to me, but in all probability were the same size as moon pies.
-- Mike Douglas