Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Twain and Train

Talk about two extremes... first up is this photo of the beautiful 19th-century style sternwheeler as it rests in Fowler's Harbor. They're scraping the audio-animatronic barnacles off of it, I'm guessing. Either that or this is when they replaced the steam boiler with that atomic job. The Gullywhumper sits behind the Twain, like an anxious relative at the hospital (I'm pretty sure it is reading a copy of "People" magazine).


And now we leap forward to the exciting World of Tomorrow circa 1960 for a look at the equally beautiful 3-car red Mark I Monorail. It's just leaving the station for a trip around the concrete beamway - the spiel referred to it as "the highway in the sky", but nobody else did. By golly, if I was feeling blue, this picture would turn my frown upside-down.

6 comments:

Chiana_Chat said...

Guess what... I was feeling blue and both of those turned my frown upside down. Now I'm frowning again! No problem though, your commentary did the trick too and now my frown is upside down again. Life is good!

"audio-animatronic barnacles" LOL... The Harbor guys just needed a hot cup of coffee and borrowed Twain because there's nothing makes a better or faster cup o' Joe than a good old fashioned riverboat boiler.

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

The monorail looks kinda orange? I know that's your favorite color monorail, maybe it shifted it color just for you? SPEED RAMP alert! Those ramps just shout "future" don't they?

The Twain went atomic... No wonder its so quiet now...

stu29573 said...

Yeah, atomic is better than those rocket engines they were going to intall. Way too noisy and the Gullywumper would have been charred to a crisp!

Connie Moreno said...

Looking at that Monorail pic, I snickered when I saw that old escalator...I remember those things were often down, forcing you to walk up at a cumbersome angle.

Anonymous said...

Love that monorail shot. I'm talking screen backdrop now...

You're right, instant smile.

Thank you.

JG

Nancy said...

i always love a blue sky day...

the Twain looks kinda lonely, like its in the corner for being a bad steamboat...good thing he has company!

love the monorail, and its funny not to see sky buckets. it looks to be real early in the morning...wish i was there!! :D