Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Totally Boss Monorail! April 1962

Today I have two great photos guaranteed to make your day better.

See, I told you! Look at that beautiful blue Monorail, returning from the Disneyland Hotel. It's the exact same blue as our Buick station wagon from the late 60's! Beneath it, the cheerful tram sits - driverless. Maybe the driver made sure that everyone exited the tram with all of their belongings (unless it was something really good!). I'm not sure I was aware that ticket booths extended this far from the entrance.


Well now, I'd say this sunshiny yellow Monorail is pretty great too. Please don't make me pick a favorite! Poster alert. Also, please direct your eyeballs to the heaps of dirt in the background, all part of some major construction going on in Frontierland, including the removal of the Plantation House and additions to the Indian Village. It might also be partially due to the addition of the Elephant Bathing Pool and the Swiss Family Treehouse in Adventureland.

12 comments:

Chiana_Chat said...

Neat-o scene to these eyes!

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Stellar Images - Thanks! The blue is my favorite of the two. The (rare) Green one is my all time fav! Too bad they didn't have an Orange one back then huh Major?

Major Pepperidge said...

Yeah, the Green Monorail is like Bigfoot, I have no photos of it (except for possibly one that is so dark I'm not really sure it is "old greenie"). And yes, an orange one from the classic days would have been the best!

Thufer said...

So much fun watching the monorail(s) fly by as you get out of the car and head for the entrance. Getting the rush of what the day would hold in each of those amazing posters. The sights, the sounds and yes the smells of Disneyland. The sun shinning down, everyone wearing their special 'park' apparel.. wonderful times.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pics, Major. Thank you.

I might have a picture of the green monorail, somewhere. I'll look for it...someday. if I find it, I'll send you a scan.

One of these may replace your recent shot of the Peoplemover as my screen backdrop.

JG

Katella Gate said...

These ticket boots so far from the entrance are weird. I wonder if they are special purpose booths, for handling very large tour groups. I'm pretty sure the bus parking was the area adjacent/close by in the parking lot.

The Viewliner Limited said...

You have made my day, Major. Classic beauties! Thanks

Connie Moreno said...

Somebody SLAP me!!! WOW! You were 100% correct, Senor, those pics made me feel much better since I stayed home to recuperate from the sinus infection from hell. TMI? Sorry... But those photos are excellent!!

Nancy said...

aww Connie, sorry to hear youre under the weather, but im sure these beauties did something to make you feel a bit better....

these are GORGEOUS!!!

thanks for these, Major ;)

Nancy said...

forgot to say that my personal choice here is the blue one, mainly because i havent seen any better image of it...so pretty!

also would have been awesome to have an orange monorail (happens to be my favorite color.... ;)

Nancy said...

i thought i had seen a photo of Monorail Green someplace...

matterhorn1959's blog Stuff From The Park has one posted on
Sept 11 2006

http://matterhorn1959.blogspot.com/2006_09_01_archive.html

Chiana_Chat said...

Thanks Nancy. :)