Tuesday, March 02, 2010

It's a Small World's Fair, August 1965

Even though we're visiting the 1964/65 New York World's Fair today, it's still a "Disney Day" because we're at Pepsi Cola and Unicef's pavilion featuring Walt Disney's "It's a Small World". Maybe you've heard of it!

This first great shot gives us an excellent "you are there" view of the attraction's façade, along with that big marquee that added to the sense of excitement. New Yorkers were not immune to the appeal of a person in a chipmunk costume; I see more than a couple of smiles as Chip makes the scene. I wonder where Dale was? Incidentally, the Disney folks made that queue go up stairs, down stairs, back and forth, which (as it turns out) actually did help to make the long line a bit more interesting. Somehow.


Here's an unusual view, with more signage - this time from inside the queue itself. "Though the mountains are wide and the oceans divide"... those lyrics take me back to the days when I listened to my Storyteller album (narrated by Winston Hibler) and tried to remember the ride in all of its colorful detail.


And finally, a photo from inside the ride itself. There are several portrayals of the Sun in the ride; I did a little research (very little!), and it appears that this particular sun was removed at some point, and then added back during one of the holiday makeovers. Does anybody know if he still smiles upon guests now that the attraction has been redone once again?

8 comments:

stu29573 said...

Great. Get out of bed. Log onto computer. Get song stuck in head.

TokyoMagic! said...

Yep, the sun hangs just to the right of the exit from the finale room.

Major Pepperidge said...

It's been a while Daveland... for instance, now I don't really want to go because the river is empty. I think they're supposed to be done in May? And by then, you're almost in the summer months, when I also don't want to go. It's always something.

Disneyana World said...

as always... love your blog.

i'm going to disneyland in august!

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Do I see a ticket booth in the first photo! I'd sure like to get one of those tickets!

I think an intervention may be necessary to get Major to the Park. Does the term "Dragged kicking and screaming" ring a bell? LOL! We need our own "private party" at Disneyland, "Blogger Nite"...

Connie Moreno said...

OMG, I haven't been to Disneyland in 3 weeks and I am going through SERIOUS withdrawals. GO! Who cares if the river is dry..it makes for interesting photos..photos which will someday in the future be mysterious, LOL!

Matt said...

I'm definitely up for blogger night, I'll be in residence the last week of June, if anyone want to mark their calendars.

Nancy said...

i love a day at the fair! too bad we didnt get more of the Tower in the photo, but its a very nice picture all the same.....

and ill tell you, if i lived there, i would be at the park all the time!

when my daughter did the DCProgram at WDW, she was at a park nearly every day for the 7.5 months she was there... ;)