Friday, March 19, 2010

Random Knott's

Are you ready for some Knott's Berry Farm stuff?

Let's start with this fun image, probably dating from around 1950, give or take a few years. It really has a great vintage feel! Look at how nicely dressed everyone is; perhaps they were there for Sunday dinner. With the chicken dinners were so popular that it was a good idea to open another restaurant, this one serving steak and other dee-licious stuff. What a brilliant idea to build the ghost town to give waiting patrons something to do! Slim Vaughan is holding court over in front of the Covered Wagon Bar.


I'm sure that freshly cut flowers were one of the many things you could purchase at Knott's (and perhaps they were used as decorations in the restaurants)... here you can see them growing, rows and rows of beautiful colors. It really was a farm, remember!


And finally, from July 1959, here's a (Bluegrass?) quartet performing on a little rustic bandstand. The singer is packin' pistols, so you'd better be quiet and applaud! I'll bet they sounded great.

6 comments:

Chris Merritt said...

I LOVE these shots!

Katella Gate said...

Yes, these really are fine shots, all the better because they are early, in focus, and in color.

The band is probably singing traditional western music rather than country or bluegrass, which are different (like House, Trance, and Techno for you young punk cityslicker types out there.)

Connie Moreno said...

I'm gonna say it...
The days when people actually CARED what they looked like before leaving the house. God, I miss that! Now everywhere I go I am subjected to...(use your imagination here)....

outsidetheberm said...

Connie, I'm right there with you. If only civility might return...

Major, these are really exceptional shots. Very rare to see the Dahlia Garden captured so well. And that little bandstand is very rarely seen! Thanks for the look.

Chiana_Chat said...

Chris said it! I LOVE these, verry berry nice.

Beautiful flower garden / field and boy that group sure figured out how to quiet the critics huh? ;)

Unknown said...

These SO take me back to when I was a young boy back in California. Makes me want to hop on a plane and visit Knott's tomorrow!!