Saturday, March 20, 2010

I Love a Parade, May 1966

Actually, I generally don't love a parade. My family was squished to jelly by a wayward Macy's balloon.

But when a parade has a cute girl with freaky albino-white hair, that's a whole different matter. As usual, I enjoy photos of the various Alices, I can't explain it. Meanwhile, where are the crowds?


"Mirror, mirror, on the wall, who's the cutest of them all?"; well, it just might be Snow White. I like her mischievous smile. Girls, girls, there's plenty of ol' Major Pepperidge for both of you! Does anybody know what those candy-striped awnings in the background were part of? Perhaps it was the entrance to the Plaza Inn's private dining area where Walt used to entertain VIPs? If you want circus folk to feel at home, I recommend stripes.


Say, shouldn't there be three little pigs? The Big Bad Wolf looks like he's just had a hearty meal, and I don't mean hamburgers. A star of his caliber should be able to afford some new pants. And a belt.

9 comments:

TokyoMagic! said...

That building was First Aid and Lost Children in 1967...not sure if that's what it was in 1966.

Matt said...

Wow, that is some ultra blond hair on that Alice.

Chiana_Chat said...

Alice is just getting a touch of Albinoitus from contact with the White Rabbit.

Enjoyed the pics & commentary as always Maj. :)

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

I enjoy the various Alice's too, in fact, the Mad Hatter has something against me and is always rude to me, jealous I bet!!!!!

"Mirror, mirror, on the wall, who's the cutest of them all?" Mirror says "Well dear, you've got a great smile."

The Viewliner Limited said...

What the hell did that Rabbit just say to Alice to make her eyes light up like that? That Rabbit is... STEW!

I hear the Jefferson Airplane in the background. OH MY GOD... Not Again!

Tom said...

Wow, the quality of these photos is amazing, so crisp and colorful. They look like they were taken yesterday.

Katella Gate said...

Where is everybody? I like it like that! Been there a few times when it was like that planet on Star Trek with the wall-to-wall people.

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/File:Looking_through_the_Exterior_viewing_port.jpg

Anonymous said...

Where is everybody ? From the times I remember when my parents use to take us every summer in the 1960's, Disneyland was not as crowded as it is today. We always went in June or July and it was never wall to wall people like it is today. There were less rides back then too.
More of the population back then had not grown up with Disneyland (i.e. my parents) but parents today probably had gone a few times when they were kids. More incentive to relive childhood memories. Thus more crowds today

Anonymous said...

One day in the 70's I was there with my folks and there had been a bad thunderstorm in the morning. As a result everyone stayed home and even when the storm cleared and there were literally 100 people in the entire park when we arrived. A gorgeous day, and it was so empty we would nod and say hello to the occasional passerby going from land to land. Lines were non-existent. When you walked into the Haunted Mansion you were lone travelers into that world. Same with the Matterhorn and Pirates. Truly bliss. Days like this were not so rare then. Weather or luck would find you a nearly empty park. Disney is much healthier now, but park goers never had it better than in those days. What wonderful memories.