Sunday, July 19, 2015

Sub Lagoon

Here are two "leftuggies", featuring the Sub lagoon! Sort of.

We'll start with this one (from 1962), a portrait of three pals as they relax on the rocks that surround the lagoon; It doesn't look like they are waiting in line (the load area is all the way on the opposite side, after all). But if you are going to have your photo taken, it might as well be next to one of the Kodak "picture spots". The little kid to the right wishes he could dive into the water (I know I always wished I could). The Skyway looks neat from this perspective.


I was curious to see what was on the sign to our left, so I zoomed in and tried to improve it a bit. I didn't get "CSI" results ("Enhance!"), but you can see that there were recommended compositions from the fine folks at Kodak, who probably knew a thing or two about taking pictures. The one on the left almost looks like a "What not to do" example, with so much sky.


This one really should go into the "rejects" folder (otherwise known as the trash), but HEY, it was already scanned, so I might as well use it.


9 comments:

Nanook said...

Major-

Those three fellas seem to each be representing a different phase of how to dress. The one in the center seems to be the closest to "Adult-approved" (sans the white socks, of course). The guy on the right looks ready for a day at Disneyland, or heading-up a group for a day hike. However, the fella on the left is pushing the limits of 'class'. A vest with an un-tucked shirt-?? And what's that on your head-? Hmmm... You ragamuffin, you-! Off to the flop house.

Two of them do have cameras at hand. (Where are those pictures-?)

Thanks, Major.

K. Martinez said...

I still stop at this exact spot to relax and watch the submarines cruise the lagoon and monorails pass overhead. It's a great spot to soak up that Disneyland goodness.

Nanook, You're tailor-made for a cohost position on the Fashion Police. Give 'em a call!

Major, As a kid, I had a desire to jump into the lagoon too. From certain angles it had the illusion of being shallow.

Omnispace said...

I'm pretty sure that in the second photo the subject was supposed to be the submarine. It's not every day that you get photo-bombed by a monorail!

Chuck said...

The fellow on the extreme left appears to be dressing in a contemporary South Asian style. Maybe an exchange student?

Nanook said...

@ Chuck-

Ahhhh - a 'fashion-setter' - years before the "look" finally hit. (I've been told patience is a virtue). He'll need to lose the "point-and-shoot camera", however, and replace it with a 'smart phone', dude.

Dean Finder said...

You should photoshop that submarine picture onto the "what not to do" panel.

Also, I need to start wearing loafers and white socks.

Anonymous said...

Pic No. 2: "A World On The Move..."

JG

Major Pepperidge said...

Nanook, I don’t trust any of ‘em, because they’re TEENAGERS! The guy to the left looks like a wacky sidekick from a 1980’s movie, don’t you think?

K. Martinez, I wish I went to the park often enough to stop and take it all in. I’m always in a rush! Isn’t the lagoon pretty shallow? I wonder how deep it is in the channel that the subs actually run? There are lots of little islands to climb onto if you get tired.

Omnispace, I agree, that Monorail wasn’t there a second before the shutter was clicked.

Chuck, is that what that style is? He seems to be wearing a beret, but those French got over to Asia for sure. It’s still a pretty funky look for 1962.

Dean Finder, I would do it if I wasn’t so lazy!! Loafers and white socks remind me of the ska kids from the 80’s.

JG, it is certainly a “world on the move”, I just wish it was a better photo!

Melissa said...

Y'know, at this point, I don't think ANY of the "historical records" should go in the trash! I wanna know all about every nook, cranny, and crevice of the park the way it was.