Thursday, July 16, 2015

I Love a Parade, January 1965

For many weeks, I have been sharing some weirdly dark and murky photos. They weren't a total loss, but I was looking forward to the day when they were done. WELL... they're done! Not that I won't have other murky pix. 

Anyway, today's photos are, surprisingly, from that same dreary lot, only they turned out OK. Check out this one, featuring the a marching band (but not the Disneyland Band) strutting around Town Square. What was the occasion? It appears as though a lucky kid has been plucked from the crowd to march alongside the drum major; could that be his mom, looking on (to our right) in the red sweater? The short gentleman in all white resembles Vesey Walker, but I can't tell. I thought Vesey had retired by 1965, but it turns out that he was at Disneyland until 1970.

I had my doubts about this photo being taken around the Holiday's of 1964/65, but you can see bells in the tree to the extreme right, and on the street light to the left.


Ah, the beautiful baton twirler! What could be more American? She looks like she walked out of an MGM musical. Notice the little kid, I really do think he's waving to the woman in the red sweater. Also, notice the Global Van Lines building, I miss its distinctive shape.


And here's a closeup, just for fun.


7 comments:

Nanook said...

Major-

That sure looks like Vesey Walker to me - but what the heck do I know-? Suddenly I'm feeling all Christmas-y-! (Christmas in July after all-!)

Thanks, Major.

TokyoMagic! said...

I never played a wind instrument....or marched in a band. I don't understand how the band members are able to see where they're going with their sheet music so close to their face?

K. Martinez said...

What a wonderful set of images. Love the band and baton twirler. Seventy-six trombones led the big parade!

I love how from the Emporium to Global Van Lines, the façade and roofline change and eventually lowers towards the Firehouse. The poor redesign for this area for the Emporium extension is flat across the roofline and kind of diminishes the Firehouse's presence. JMO of course.

From Daveland:

http://davelandweb.com/townsquare/images/2000/2012/DSC_4383.jpg

Melissa said...

What an adorable crowd! Love all those cheery Christmas red cardigans.

Melissa said...

What an adorable crowd! Love all those cheery Christmas red cardigans.

Alonzo P Hawk said...

My high school was so small all we had was a kazoo band.

Nice pins on the twirley girl. Christmas sounds pretty appealing around here, 108 today. I always love winter pics of Disneyland.

Melissa said...

My high school was so small all we had was a kazoo band.

My high school was too small for a marching band, too. I used to joke that by the time they got past the first line of "The Stars and Stripes Forever" they'd be over the town line.