Sunday, March 30, 2014

Two From March 1958

Here are a couple of not-too-exciting photos from March of 1958, starting with the ol' Mark Twain at the dock. Patriotic bunting means that these were probably taken the previous July, or at least that's what I'm assuming. The tall "smoke stacks" (though they didn't emit smoke) have those decorative crowns that are a fun detail. The shoreline looks bare without Cascade Peak to the left.


This one is a bit too dark, but I like that it was taken at the Tahitian Lanai, which overlooked the load area of the Jungle Cruise. Imagine sitting there eating your lunch and watching boat after boat fill up with passengers and depart, while others return from the jungle and unload. Too bad there's no restaurant that allows that today.


8 comments:

Connie Moreno said...

I don't know why, but both of those photos struck a chord with me. Awesome! I really love the 2nd one!

Steve DeGaetano said...

Major, the Mark Twain's "smoke stacks" actually are functional, and emit the boiler's exhaust. It's just that the burner in the boiler is so efficient that the diesel exhaust is basically invisible (sort of like how the steam engines on the DRR aren't seen emitting plumes of smoke as they roll down the line).

PsySocDisney said...

There's certainly something relaxing about having a snack or meal while watching boats depart and arrive, see: Blue Bayou. You could definitely sign me up for the Lanai experience any day. I love that the terrace was designed for viewing purposes as well, with the eating bar overlooking the jungle.

steve2wdw said...

I love the little "handles" on the paper coffee cups. I also really like the seating along the rail.

K. Martinez said...

The Mark Twain smokestacks and wheelhouse against the beautiful blue sky is nice.

I love early images of the Adventureland side of the Pavilion (pre-Tahitian Terrace).

These are great. Thanks, Major.

Major Pepperidge said...

Connie, if you are happy, I am happy!

Steve, thanks for the info. I've seen steam coming out of the smaller "stacks", but you're right, the big stacks are always clean.

PsySocDisney, I wonder if, at some point, it was decided that being able to see the restaurant from the Jungle Cruise was not part of a "good show"?

steve2wdw, now that you mention it, those handles ARE and pretty ingenious solution to scalding-hot coffee cups!

K. Martinez, I guess I get jaded after seeing so many similar pix. Thanks for helping me to appreciate them!

Nancy said...

Never noticed those seats in the ring around the water near the Jungle Cruise either. Very cool.

The Mark Twain gives such a peaceful ride. I always enjoy seeing pictures of this beautiful boat :-)

Melissa said...

They probably teased the poor lady caught with the spoon in her mouth for years!