Sunday, March 23, 2014

Frontierland, 1959

By 1959, the Columbia was a year old. I wonder how many thousands of miles it had already sailed on the Rivers of America? The upholstery was getting worn, one of the tail lights was cracked, and one of the knobs on the radio was missing. That's what happens when millions of people walk all over you. But you know what? It was still pretty awesome. There are rumors that the track will be modified so that the boat will do a loop, but I think it will be more of a "corkscrew". It just makes sense.


Walt Disney had already had some success using props from a movie in an attraction (the "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" walk through), so there was no reason to NOT do a similar thing in Frontierland. This sign tells us that parts of the Indian Village were used in "Westward Ho the Wagons". I haven't seen that film; does it have Fred McMurray? Is there a chimpanzee? Does Annette make an appearance? Or better yet, all three of those things?


12 comments:

TokyoMagic! said...

Major, all three of those things, plus Hayley Mills playing singing identical twins.

Chuck said...

"A thousand thrills...and Hayley Mills!" Oh, wait...that's the wrong picture.

K. Martinez said...

Wasn't the Indian Village where Herbie tortured Alonzo Hawk in his dreams?

Alonzo P Hawk said...

I'll get that Herbie and crush him into a cube! Muh ha ha!

Anonymous said...

One of the joys of running the Columbia was at night, when a full moon would illuminate the ship as you were on the far side of the river. One could easily imagine being on calm ocean waters far from civilization. It was quite a pleasant shift.
KS

Chuck said...

KS - no issues with cursed, see-though pirates clambering over the rails?

Connie Moreno said...

Great post yet again, Major. Almost made me spit out my iced tea...almost!

TokyoMagic! said...

Major, I haven't seen "Westward Ho The Wagons!" either, but I know it does have four of the original Mouseketeers in it.

Melissa said...

The broken radio knob didn't matter too much, 'cause all you can pick up in Frontierland is WBNJO.

Melissa said...

After taking another look at the sign, I think it's from that one little-known movie Dean Martin did for Disney.

Anonymous said...

Chuck...no pirates boarded my ship...we had a canon and used it on each trip. KS

Major Pepperidge said...

TokyoMagic!, I would totally see it if it had Haley!!

Chuck, I sure loved Haley back in the day. Still do, obviously!

K. Martinez, wait, what? Seriously?

Alonzo, you cad!

KS, I would LOVE to ride the Columbia at night. I’ve only been able to ride the Twain at night two or three times, but the Columbia is never running. Someday….

Chuck, they were cursed pirates, but only the cheaper, inferior, non see-through kind.

Connie, my goal in life is to make you spit your tea!!

TokyoMagic!, as long as it doesn’t have Moochie. I know, he wasn’t a Mouseketeer (or was he?).

Melissa, all banjo, all the time. “Stairway to Heaven” on banjo. As for Dino and Disney, wouldn’t that have been awesome?! Unfortunately, Dino was way too hip for Disney films, I guess.

KS, do cannons work on ghosts?