Thursday, March 27, 2014

New Orleans Square, revisited

Well, fellow gorillas, today I have started something that I have kind of been avoiding for a long time: REPEATS. Sure, once in a while I would repost an image, but now I have gone through most of my old scans and picked out a bunch of my favorites. Some of them go back 4, 5, or even 7 years, so perhaps you have never seen them before if you only discovered GDB fairly recently. Or, if you don't remember them, they might as well be new anyway!

Anyway, here are two from New Orleans Square, starting with this beauty from 1967, when the place was still quite new. Look at how empty it is! It must be early in the morning; the shoe-shine stand is to our left, and the Blue Bayou is just beyond. I think the shop at the end of the street (with the lady in the doorway) is "Le Gourmet", which sold… "Unusual cooking and serving accessories… along with a selection of exotic foods and spices".



This next one is from 1966, so NOS was even brand-newer! Not only is this a beautiful photo in the way it showcases the buildings and the wrought iron, but the "people watching" is great. Hip, fashionable young folks look ready for "Dapper Day". 


7 comments:

K. Martinez said...

Repeats work for me, Major. There's always something I didn't catch before and something new to learn from the comments left by fellow gorillas.

You're correct about the shop at the end of the street being Le Gourmet. I love the colors from brand-newer NOS. Thanks, Major.

Nanook said...

Major-

Repeats-??!! Oh, nonsense-! As NBC said in their equally stupid & brilliant 1998 summer campaign: "If you haven't seen it - it's New to You". Yes, indeed.

Images, such as these are worthy of multiple views - especially, as you point out - those "Hip, fashionable young folks look ready for "Dapper Day". Somebody send for the Dapper Dans-!

Thanks, Major.

Alonzo P Hawk said...

These are great. Good call on the fashions in the second pick. I almost expect to see Austin Powers go dancing (the fruge or watusi)down the street. Ya baby!

Melissa said...

Wow, the first shot of a hazy, nearly-deserted NOS is so moody and atmospheric it's almost sinister!

Play with the color and contrast a little, and it's like a still from "Bourbon Street Beat" or something.

Nancy said...

These work just fine for me. I can never see enough from the Major.

I especially love the second image; one of my favorite buildings in all of Disneyland reminds me exactly of when I visited the French Quarter during 2 visits to my cousins who live in Lafayette, LA.

It still makes me marvel at how people used to dress up to visit the park, like it was a Sunday afternoon following church all the time there. :-)

Chuck said...

Absolutely fabulous! You can almost catch a whiff of that new land smell.

I've been watching the 1978-9 "Battlestar Galactica" for the past couple of weeks, so it's obvious repeats are fine with me.

Dean Finder said...

Is that Marty McFly's dad at the right of pic 2?
Has density brought us together.