Sunday, October 23, 2011

Knott's Mix

Today I have a random selection of photos from Knott's Berry Farm.


Let's start with this nice photo from April, 1956. I believe that modest little building is the original berry stand that Walter and Cordelia Knott used to sell their famous boysenberries (and other fruits and vegetables). I'm sure that they could have never dreamed of the success that they would achieve, thanks in large part to Cordelia's skill in cooking and eventually running the chicken restaurant, and Walter's vision, building a place to keep folks entertained while they waited for one of those chicken dinners.


From some time in the 1950's, somebody took a snapshot of the family as they posed on the small bridge over the beautiful lily pond. Look at all those trees? Long gone, of course.


And here's a familiar sight, the old steam-powered fire wagon. It was a popular photo subject, and it's easy to see why. It's beautifully clunky in that authentic "steampunk" manner!


8 comments:

Connie Moreno said...

Is that last photo from 56? I didn't think women were wearing pants so much back then.

All those trees! You can still get that tranquil feeling across the street at the Independence Hall area but who knows how much longer that will be there???

Major Pepperidge said...

Connie, the last photo is from sometime in the 1970's.

Arg, I hope they don't ever mess with that quiet area around Independence Hall!

Orange Co Native said...

I haven't been to Knott's Berry Farm in over 20 years.

Question:

Does Knott's Berry Farm still have the old chicken stand at the park as seen in the first photograph ?

You really have to hand it to the Walter's.

Walt Disney and Walter Knott. What a coincidence.

Major Pepperidge said...

OC Native, I am pretty sure that the berry stand is long gone (I don't think they ever sold chicken at the roadside stand!). Maybe when TokyoMagic! returns from WDW, he can let us know for sure.

JG said...

Steampunk Indeed, Ha!

Yes, Major I think you are right, that is the original berry stand and that it is now gone.

I did read that as a comment in a blog post, I think here at GDB, and I believe it was Tokyo Magic who confirmed....

I remember seeing the original stand, but can't say where or when...

Thank you.

JG

Major Pepperidge said...

Thanks JG, I was pretty sure about the berry stand. If I ever saw it, I don't remember it.

Mike said...

The berry stand was still standing until around the time the Church of Reflections was "relocated." I don't believe I've seen it since.

TokyoMagic! said...

Yep, the Berry Stand is gone. The loading station for Silver Bullet replaced it. Shortly after that happened, I went to Guest Relations and asked what happened to the Berry Stand and they didn't even know WHAT the Original Berry Stand was....and that included a supervisor! How sad is that? Oh and that first picture shows it when it sat next to the rose garden (across from the Bakery and the Farm Market). It was later moved to the area near the Church of Reflections and the Little Chapel by the Lake.