Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Castle & Quartet, January 1960

Good old Sleeping Beauty Castle; it's looking kind of forlorn here, surrounded by leafless trees (it is January, after all). And the colors on the film stock have a blue cast. But you know what? It's still pretty, and I still prefer it to the pink paint scheme we have today.


Keystone Cops playing saxomophones, that's what I'm talking about. The quartet is heating things up as the sun sets. What are they playing? "Minnie's Yoo-hoo", what else. There's another orange tree full of fruit, and in the background, the gateway to Frontierland.

5 comments:

PsySocDisney said...

Great, now that song will be stuck in my head all day! Gee thaaanks :)
Love the overcast pictures though.

JG said...

I never get tired of the Castle.

I am warming to the new color scheme. It's a little flashy, but it does remind me of the start of the old TV show.

Have you noticed the fancy gold grille added at the top of the battlement across the front?

Look at Vintage Tickets recent photo in his last trip report.

I think they added that as a staff safety measure, similar to the issue surrounding the Alice in Wonderland track.

I was watching fireworks prep on our last trip, the staff works on the roof in that area beforehand setting up grenades, the battlement barely comes up to their knees, so the gold grille now helps prevent accidental falls.

There was a recent building code update for "fall protection" for employees, so I think that's it. Can't blame it on the princesses.

JG

Chuck said...

But I WANT to blame it on the Princesses!

Major Pepperidge said...

Hannahx2, I'm the same way... somebody mentions (or hums) a song, and I'll have it stuck in my head for hours. A coworker used to do this to me on purpose, and when he heard me humming the same song later, he would say, "Ha ha, I programmed you!".

JG, I must admit I get a *little* tired of slides of the castle. I must have hundreds. And yes, I have seen that gold grille. I think it might have been added during the 50th, when they were slapping gold on everything. You could be right about the additional safety it provides.

Chuck, I want to hate the princesses, but when you see them at the park they are so cute. Something must be wrong with me.

Chiana_Chat said...

Princesses are irresistible.

Ask Luke Skywalker!

;-p