Saturday, October 15, 2011

Anything Goes Saturday - Halloween 1958 & 1959

Well folks, I admit it... I got lazy today and didn't get around to scanning more vintage Halloween slides. So instead I will be posting three images that I shared over at the Neatocoolville blog a few years ago; some of you have probably already seen them!


It's not even remotely dark yet, but these suburban kids are all ready to go trick-or-treating! They can't wait. There's a girl with black bunny ears, smiling sweetly because that piece of candy she just gave you is poisoned! And as much as I love home-made costumes, those store-bought Ben Cooper-style costumes with the vacuum-formed masks and extremely flammable acrylic acetate clothes have a lot of vintage charm. Witchie-poo looks fabulous in her gold braided cape. Donald Duck is wearing pants, which is unusual.


The kids are gathering, brought together by mysterious forces that they are unaware of. Soon they will hunger for human flesh! Check out punkin girl; I hope she doesn't trip and fall. Couldn't her mom have included some arm holes?? At least a fireman is nearby to help. There's a cat, a clown, and another witch. Notice the costume for "Spooky the Tuff Little Ghost", Casper the Friendly Ghost's less-friendly cousin.


And finally, once last look at this rogue's gallery of spooky (and not-so-spooky) candy fiends! I'll trade you all of my Smarties for your Pixie Stix.

11 comments:

TokyoMagic! said...

Yay, more vintage Halloween goodness! Those Ben Cooper Costumes were A-okay....my brother had a Peter Potamus one that was pretty neat. That witch is wearing saddle shoes!

Chiana_Chat said...

Top 3 are adorable. Also adorable: the 2 tots on our left in the 3rd pic.

2nd pic, our right: Ruby's mom didn't make arm holes on purpose. As her ruby red lipstick suggests, she couldn't keep her hands to herself and the thought of leaving her to go around with the boss' son was - well, mom fixed that. Ruby is thinking this could have an up side though: "Hm. Whom or what can I flatten?"

And thanks for the glimpse of nice vintage neighborhood. :)

Katella Gate said...

Oddly, it's not the costumes that get my attention, this is the front yard of my youth. EVERYBODY was planting according to Sunset Magazine's suggestions, that *always* included Natal Plum, Bougainvillaea, juniper, and a big bush of Bird of Paradise in an accent planter off the main walk. Garnish residence with a dado of narrow course sandstone, faux shudders, crossbuck doors and Dutch gables and presto.. Your own mid-century cottage.

PsySocDisney said...

My fav is the fireman with the cowboy boots! Poor little pumpkin girl looks so awkward haha... love it.

Rich T. said...

For me, Ben Cooper *was* Halloween. Well, Ben Cooper plus Milk Duds and Necco Wafers...and the homemade popcorn balls we had to throw away...

Major Pepperidge said...

TM!, I had a Snoopy with a nose that would light up when you pushed a little hand-held button. I was really into "Peanuts" back then!

Chiana, that little leopard costume must have been a popular one in those days... I have photos of at least three different kids wearing the same design.

Katella, I almost commented on the post-war suburban tract home architecture! But you did a better job than I would have anyway.

Hannahx2, I like how one of the fireman's pants legs is caught on the top of his cowboy boot!

Rich T., the Ben Cooper costumes were fun, it used to kill me to see them at the store and know that I had to choose only one. How to decide? Woody Woodpecker? Batman? GI Joe? Frankenstein? It was torture.

Hrundi V. Bakshi said...

"I got a rock"

Connie Moreno said...

Oh man, so darn CUTE!

Melissa said...

I hope the poor pumpkid had a brother or sister to carry her candy for her! Or maybe folks just popped it right into her mouth.

Capt. Tomorrow said...

Genius! Lil' pumpkin girl's entire costume is one giant candy receptacle. She OWNED trick or treating that night!

JG said...

I remember Spooky, he was a kind of stereotype in himself...

These are really great, thank you Major.

JG