Saturday, October 29, 2011

Anything Goes Saturday - Halloween 1954, part two

Here is the final part of my tribute to Halloween from days gone by (and a continuation of the photos from last week).


Robot Boy can't move very well, so he's hanging out in the background. Bunny Girl has a cute smile; I think the girl with the headband is supposed to be a flapper... she is trying to ignore the antics of the masked fellow beside her. And the last girl (with the Shirley Temple curls) has removed her Woody Woodpecker mask and looks like she is about to sing the Star Spangled Banner.


Whoa! For a home-made costume, that skeleton is surprisingly scary. A little bit of black cloth and white paint can make an effective getup.


Check out this trio. The staring face on the left is giving me the willies, while the girl in the middle wears a piggie mask. The dude with the 5 o'clock shadow makes the most of his clown costume.


Here we go! This party must have had some sort of a spook house in the basement (?), and it is pretty weird. Especially when you consider that many of the other photos in this lot established this family as very Christian - to the point of having Bible study groups in their home. But hey, they got into the Halloween spirit, and I applaud them! This baby doll with the living head must have been pretty creepy in a low-light situation.


Are we having fun yet? I thought this was a guy until I noticed the long fingernails.


And finally, a charming tableau! This lady has a blade sticking out of her back, and a whole bottle of Del Monte ketchup (catsup?) has been blobbled onto her clothing. Good times!


Well, that about does it for our journey to Halloweens past. I hope everyone has a safe, fun Halloween tomorrow night!

3 comments:

TokyoMagic! said...

That's a creepy looking basement even without the Halloween stuff.

That lady in the plaid dress lurking in the background of the first pic was seen in your Halloween post from last week. Is she holding a megaphone or did she swipe that from someone dressed as the Tin Man?

Thanks for sharing these vintage Halloween pics, Major. I've really enjoyed them.

Connie Moreno said...

These were the best as I actually laughed out loud and almost spilled some coffee on my lap, LOL!

Great times!

Melissa said...

That takes me back! Halloween is right between my sister's and my birthdays, so we always had a big Halloween party instead of two birthday parties. We had a huge basement, and we would make a spookhouse for all our friends, with a different theme every year.