Monday, January 10, 2011

Main Street Stuff, 1956

I have a couple of stereo views of Main Street to share with you. Well, they're stereo to me, anyway. Don't worry, you're not missing much.

Here's the Plaza Pavilion, looking neat and tidy. Unless you happen to notice that ladder on the roof. Which I don't. All the gingerbread detail really adds to the sense that this is a nice place to eat. Who else is suddenly in the mood for gingerbread?


The Horse Drawn Streetcar actually employed two adult men. One to drive, and one to glare at the passengers who dare to stand up, like that girl. Luckily, she was promptly beaten and then ejected from the park. They warned her to stay seated...

10 comments:

Chiana_Chat said...

I am suddenly in the mood for gingerbread. Oh scary. Maj has mind control powers.

I suppose they must install fresh gingerbread trim now and then. That could explain the ladder. Or someone wanted to see if there was an Adventureland behind this building too.

These are stereo? I think they're fold-downs.

TokyoMagic! said...

That first pic makes me suddenly in the mood to have my annual passport processed. :-( They should put a restaurant back into that space!

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

I never see men running the street car these days, its always pretty young girls :-) - I do see the gents cleaning up after the horses however...

Connie Moreno said...

Gosh that first photo is really cool. I love the way the tables and chairs are out in the open...not behind a fence like they are today.

When I worked at Coke Corner, I heard that they eventually wanted to turn this back into a restaurant. We can only hope.

Katella Gate said...

Personally, I have no problem whatsoever with a little corporal punishment for certain guests.

Bryce said...

Have you ever considered posting both views of a stereo scene so that your readers can see the 3-D effect by converging their vision (crossing their eyes)? I'd love to see that!

Major Pepperidge said...

Bryce, I have thought about doing that; since the cross-eyed thing is hard for me to do, I have not posted both images. I have more stereo slides, however, so I may do some in the future.

Anonymous said...

Corporal punishment ..... Ahhhhhhhhhhh! Mmmmmmm! Ohhhhhhhhhhh!

Chiana_Chat said...

Maj, I'd be interested in trying the stereo slide business when you get around to it. :)

JG said...

Actually, the streetcar employs 4 adults. You forgot the two in the horse costume.

Beautiful. Thank you.

JG