Saturday, January 29, 2011

The Columbia

I love the Columbia, I really do. But daaayum, do I have a lot of pictures of it. So I decided to post three of them today, and maybe get a little break in the future. (PS, whenever you read the word "future", you should always imagine that it sounds echo-ey and dramatic).


Clearly, barnacles are a real problem for the Columbia, since it spends so much time in dry dock. Disneyland is too cheap to spray the hull with lemon fresh "Barnacles Be Gone". I use it every day and have nary a barnacle on me.


All of these people shop at Sears. To be honest I like that old guy's greenish plaid shirt. This blog is now about shirts. You have been warned.


Hey, that's not a picture of a shirt, it's a picture of the Columbia. I'm going to fire the editor of this blog immediately, if not sooner.


9 comments:

TokyoMagic! said...

You're too funny, Major!

I wish all that green still existed beyond Fowler's Harbor instead of an ugly concrete mountain with logs sliding down it.

Matterhorn1959 said...

Check out the theming on the outdoor vendor- he is in a Columbia Sailor costume rather than a generic outdoor vending costume.

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Hey that greenish plaid shirt is awesome, seriously, in fact I think I'm wearing one in my kindergarten photo!

Acres of Slurry in pic #2, nice!

Major Pepperidge said...

TokyoMagic!, don't you like Splash Mountain? I do (except for the part where my feet get soaking wet)!

Matterhorn, thanks for pointing out that great detail that I didn't notice.

VDT, I think I had a yellow version of that shirt!

TokyoMagic! said...

Major, I do enjoy riding Splash Mt, but I think it is a bit of an eyesore in the location where they ended up "sticking" it. I wish they had left all those trees and the cave with the sleeping bear (Rufus) instead of leveling that area and wedging it in next to the Haunted Mansion.

The original plan for Splash Mt. was to have it located in it's own area beyond the RR tracks on the other side of the Frontierland train station. Supposedly, it was going to cost too much to relocate some of the backstage facilities. It's always about money, right?

Anonymous said...

The pre-Fantasmic! rigging of the Columbia was so much more majestic with the sails unfurled and the row of flags along the masts. The lower sails aren't even there anymore!

Major Pepperidge said...

TM, I never knew that Splash Mtn. was supposed to be anyplace except where it is now! I guess I'm used to it next to the Mansion, even though you are right, it doesn't really seem to belong.

mrtauntaun, I agree with you!

JG said...

Nice pics, Major. I always like the Columbia, and the plaid shirts.

JG

Connie Moreno said...

Wow, these are stunning! So much so that I had to go back and look at them again.

By the way, so that's what that smell was??? Silly me, I thought it was your cologne. I couldn't figure out why I kept craving ocean breezes.