Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Knott's Railroad, July 1963

Today I have two terrific shots of one of the trains at Knott's Berry Farm, circa 1963.


The little boy with the foreground is begging his folks to ride ol' number 41. Doesn't it look wonderful? It still blows my mind that the tracks go right through the park, with guests crossing in front of the train. As far as I know there has never been an accident, so they must be doing something right.


I like this shot even better! It's taken from the other side of the tracks. Which side is the wrong side? As always, vintage photos are full of beautiful trees, giving Knott's a more rustic appearance. Looks like it was a busy day (it was July, after all), and the milling crowd ads a lot of life and interest to the scene.


10 comments:

Connie Moreno said...

OK that does it. I'm getting a Knott's annual pass. So there. It's YOUR fault.

Katella Gate said...

Great "you are there" pictures, only spoiled by a cameo appearance of Mr. Chrome Dome at the bottom.

I wonder what the photographer was standing on; both pictures are will above eye level.

TokyoMagic! said...

Now they have long metal gates on both sides of the walkway that not only prevent people from getting near the engine or walking down the tracks, but they also swing out and block traffic when the train is passing. I guess it was inevitable.

Connie, annual passes are only $59.99 right now! I bought mine in April after the Knott's Preserved event and I've really enjoyed going this year. I do wish they had more trees and less twisted steel track however. Bring back Bear-y Tales and the Haunted Shack!!!

Katella Gate said...

TokyoMagic says... "I guess it was inevitable."

Yes, as inevitable as the swing gates now installed on the Disneyland Tram.

Chuck said...

Major, the wrong side of the tracks are underneath them.

Chris Jepsen said...

Look! It's Walter Knott's forehead!

Major Pepperidge said...

This was when Walter Knott went through his shades-wearing hipster period!

Chiana_Chat said...

Seeing as Ghost Town looks a bit ramshackle, that must be the "wrong" side of the tracks. ;)

Knott's has such a magnificent train. :)

JG said...

Ha Ha. I love these pics. So many good memories, also a time when getting rich meant you had to be smart, unlike now, when getting rich means you let the train run over your toe.

@Chuck, I had often thought that the solution to this problem was to build a pedestrian underpass similar to that at ToonTown, but then we would see the "wrong side" of the tracks as we passed.

I guess the fence and gate was cheaper. Never expect the high road from the buyers of old Knotts.

JG

rdostlund32 said...

"Bring back the Haunted Shack!!!" Exactly TokyoMagic!