Friday, January 14, 2011

New York World's Fair...

I seem to have a lot of scans from the '64 World's Fair that aren't the most stunning images in the world. So I'm posting five of them here just because.


Looking past the "Sermons for Science" building, we see the Eastman Kodak pavilion and its giant color prints. On the horizon to the right you can see the Aerial Tower Ride...


"Four gondolas, each seating 15 people, rise to the top of a 120-foot tower for views of the Fair". There was also a snack bar at the base that served Belgian waffles. Seriously.


Hey look! A picture of the Unisphere. We've never seen one of those before. This one looks like a postcard.


Here's another general view, with the New York State Pavilion in the background, one of those inflatable egg-cluster snack bars, and the American-Israel Pavilion. "Various aspects of the Holy Land and its people come to life in this privately sponsored pavilion. A shopping mall and snack bar lead to an open-air cafe."


This appears to be an interior of the United Arab Republic pavilion. Notice the map of the Red Sea and the Nile River in the background. The display of textiles in the center has a very "Rollie Crump" look to it! In the foreground is what I believe is a model of the Aswan High Dam: "On exhibit is a scale model of this massive irrigation and electrification project, which will turn two million acres into fertile farm land. Another display illustrates the international effort now underway to move and reconstruct on high ground the famous Abu Simbel temple threatened by the dam's artificial lake." What, no snack bar?


11 comments:

TokyoMagic! said...

I like all of these, Major! I remember the Long Beach Pike having a similar aerial tower attraction, but I think theirs only had two gondolas. I always wanted to go on it, but never did.

For some reason, I like that couple over to the right in the Unisphere pic. I wonder where they are today?

The Viewliner Limited said...

More beauties Major. Very Nice!

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Great photos! Hey, I posted a discount book for the NYWF today, there's even a discount coupon for the Aerial Tower Ride - not that you'd get me up in it!

I recall the one at the Pike, it had two Gondola's and scared me #$%@less just looking at it!

Hey Major, these are all great or even "stunning" - thanks!

Major Pepperidge said...

TokyoMagic!, this tower ride looks a lot less scary than the Sky Jump at Knott's! I think that couple is heading to "Futurama", because they are confident of their awesome future.

Viewliner, glad you like them!

VDT, I slept in late today (was up until almost 2 in the morning) so I'll head right over to check out your ticket book!

Snow White Archive said...

Really like the inflatable egg-cluster. That whole scene looks like it could be a set right out of a sci-fi movie. Nice.

Anonymous said...

the first time I ever ate a french-fry was in one of those "egg-cluster" snack bars!I was 8 years old and thought it was the best thing I ever had!

Urso Chappell said...

Thanks for posting these.

I've seen lots of world's fair photos, but new ones always give me a perspective I've never had before!

Bill Cotter said...

After the Fair closed the aerial tower ride ended up at the now defunct Pirate World theme park in Florida. I couldn't find out where it went when that place closed down.

I thought that was the end of the story on it until last year when I was contacted by some lawyers in Europe. It seems their client owned the patents on the ride and they were in a lawsuit with someone for allegedly copying the design. Of all of the things at the Fair this ride was about the last I would expect to see being reproduced today. I'm not sure where the copy is or what the lawsuit status is, but who knows, one day you might get a chance to ride it.

Oh, and I agree this thing looked scary. It got stuck during the Fair and some people were on it for hours. After I saw that in the paper I refused to go on it again.

Major Pepperidge said...

Hey Bill, as always thank you for the additional info!

Brianna said...

Photos are indeed so powerful to capture and preserve moments or memories. Thank you for sharing all the photos it shows a lot of viewpoint really. . I am a blog reader and your blogs are one of my favorites now.

Nancy said...

thanks for another trip to the Fair! :D