Sunday, May 19, 2013

Leftuggies

Here are three snoozetastic Leftuggies™ (known to most people as leftovers) - previously unposted scans that are sure to put you to sleep immediately.

By 1963, animator/Imagineer Marc Davis had put his stamp on the Jungle Cruise, introducing small tableaus with gentle humor. This example is a weird one! "So, we'll have the mother elephant with her rear end facing the folks in the boat. Flanking her will be two baby elephants." "And....?". "That's it, my homey. It is existential or Kafkaesque or something". "Oh. Ha ha?". I have noticed that a lot of the scenes involving elephants, particularly around the bathing pool, could undergo small changes, and in some cases would just vanish or move to other locations.


"Here comes the sub, doobie doo doo....";  it's one of George Harrison's most beloved songs. And the only one about a Disneyland attraction! One might expect an attraction involving nuclear (nucular!) submarines to be hard-edged, cold, and intimidating. But this ride involves colorful lagoons (surrounded by nice landscaping) and fanciful underwater settings.


Geysers and multi-hued paint pots help make this part of the desert a real Nature's Wonderland. The hat in the foreground helps too.


There will be more Leftuggies™ to come, you can count on it.

9 comments:

TokyoMagic! said...

At least the bathing elephants have their trunks on, Major. Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk. Hey, that hat is almost in the shape of one of the geysers!

K. Martinez said...

Water water everywhere, from the murky green jungle river to the crystal clear submarine lagoon and geyser fountains of Nature's Wonderland. Nice trio today!

Melissa said...

If there's anything funnier than butts, it's giant mechanical butts.

Nanook said...

I love the angle of the shot of the Submarine Voyage. Talk about unusual - especially the way it captures the 'wall-of-waterfalls' in the lagoon.

Thanks, Major.

Alonzo P Hawk said...

My dad told me a long time ago. "never go to sleep near the working end of a bull elephant". I've always thought this was sound advice so I have coffee in hand whilst viewing these.

I heard beatle George wrote that song in Sardinia. Or if it's about a submarine maybe it was sardine-ia.

Geysers to boot. I'll take these snoozers any day. Thanks

Tom said...

Love the geysers! Any picture of Nature's Wonderland is good. The hat in the foreground perfectly mirrors the shape of the geysers. Maybe they had pumps and a water reservoir so they could shoot water into the air every 30 minutes?

Nanook said...

I should have voiced this in my earlier comment, but any Nature's Wonderland shot always makes for fine viewing. (I wonder if the aforementioned hat has the optional 'geyser' water feature-??)

PsySocDisney said...

I walked down the aisle to "Here Comes the Sun" at my wedding... don't think I would have if it were "Here Comes the Sub!" I'd have to go bride-zilla!
Also, "Yellow Submarine" is more like it these days in that lagoon.

Major Pepperidge said...

TokyoMagic!, if only I knew how to type a rimshot!

K. Martinez, you are too kind… it's not that today's pix are bad, they are just not very exciting.

Melissa, I am almost positive that Shakespeare said exactly the same thing in "Taming of the Shrew".

Nanook, I do love those waterfalls… it's a kind of genius way to "return to the surface"!

Alonzo, George wrote that song while eating sardines. Don't worry, lots of people make the same mistake.

Tom, you and TokyoMagic! both noticed the similarity of the hat to the geysers… I feel like I should have picked up on it too!

Nanook again, as is often the case, I find myself getting jaded about certain views; the geysers are one of the most-photographed parts of Nature's Wonderland, as I'm sure you've noticed. But it's true, any photo from that attraction is welcome.

PsySocDisney, very cool that you walked down the aisle to that song… it is one of my all time favorites! Meanwhile, "Yellow Submarine" is one of my least favorite Beatles tunes. Poor Ringo!