Friday, November 21, 2008

Souvenir Friday - - Matterhorn Decals

Fairly early in my days collecting Disneyland souvenirs, I found myself wanting certain items -- A LOT. Like the wall maps, ticket books, and attraction posters. When I first saw a Matterhorn Bobsled decal (kind of visible here) , I think it was at a Howard Lowery auction, and I was outbid. But I was determined to get one. Or more!

I got my first one from ebay, and it was a "used" version that somebody managed to peel off (supposedly an aquired skill). That's it on the left! The sticky side was all gross, fuzz and spirochetes and cockroaches were stuck to it. But a little naptha cleaned it right up! It is printed on a kind of plastic or vinyl, so it's pretty durable.

Then I got one from yet another Howard Lowery auction, it's still on its original paper backing. Yay! Note that the striped border is a bit different from the first one.


I forget where I got this third one, but bought it because it was clearly an updated design. To be honest, I don't think it is as attractive as the first design. The gradient sky weakens the look of it. It also has a different striped border!

And finally, just for fun I added a small souvenir decal, it is about 3 inches high. The word "Bobsled" is replaced by a a rope, a pickaxe, and a Tyrolean hat. And the gothic script for the word "Matterhorn" has been switched out for a more legible typeface.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Neato! Well, after naptha. Not Gorilla tape? Anyway. Someone said that in the late '50s Walt took a shine to everything Swiss. I can take a shine to everything Matterhorn hehe. Not only my favorite coaster, but among my favorite themed attraction.

Anyone still make a sticker like that? Love to put one on my bumper. :)

Unknown said...

I wonder if I can print my own sticker from your scan. ;)

Those are really great!

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Nice collection! A few trips ago I saw one of the stickers on a bobsled that was 1/4 peeled off, I was hoping to ride that one to complete the task, no such luck!

Matterhorn1959 said...

I have one of the stickers on the front piece of a bobsled. The piece was given to a cast member in 1978 when the Matterhorn sleds were being updated.