Thursday, November 13, 2008

Parking Lot Tram, '57 & '56

To this day, the first ride that most people experience at Disneyland is the parking lot tram. These lucky people are visiting the park in 1957... what I wouldn't give to be there! This early version of the tram is charming, with the tiny tractor pulling the passenger cars... I believe that early on it pulled two cars, with a third added at some later date. Check out the groovy old automobiles in the background. Ladies are still wearing poofy skirts, but some have switched over to pedal pushers.


Here are two ladies waiting for (or did they just disembark?) a tram. The sun is on its way down, I am guessing they are going home. The bright carnival colors make the utilitarian tram fit in with the surroundings. Two bobby-soxers are hanging around out in front of the ticket booths...look at how many of the men are wearing sports coats. You don't see that any more!

5 comments:

TokyoMagic! said...

I was in a Disneyland parade in the 80's and they used these old trams to takes us back and forth from the back of the park, to the parade gate area in Town Square. Some of the tram drivers would deliberately go faster when turning corners, so that it would feel as though you were going to "fly" off the sideways bench seat. They would also get dangerously close to the fence along Harbor Blvd. so that the vines growing on it would whip us in the face. Nice people! I've heard that they now use the old blue and yellow trams from the 60's for transporting parade cast members.

Anonymous said...

hehe somehow I get this image in me head of opening days, all these crowds around and no tram... cut to a nearby orange farmer hauling some orange crates... comes to a stop as this guy in a plaid shirt and slacks comes up and says, "Hello, I'm your neighbor, Walt Disney. I... just bought a little plot or two in the area. I'd like to buy your tractor."

enjoyed... the enamel paints on cars, dresses & slacks, and y'know I love to pipple watch Maj. ;)

Nancy said...

our two pedal-pusher gals as well as poofy dress look so excited about getting into the park and doing all the fun things they know await....

a colorful shot, to be sure...thanks, Major

Maelstrom said...

I love the old parking lot tram shots, probably because they are so rare. Who in their right mind wants to photograph the silly tram when you have the whole park in front of you? Thanks for these.

The Viewliner Limited said...

Man, I love those trams. Great pics Major.