Thursday, November 20, 2008

Cars 'n Stuff

Who loves short shorts? Well, too bad, you won't see any of those here. Sorry! Instead, I've got an assortment of goodies, they're like bon-bons for your eyes.

Looky, there's a flock of flivvers on Main Street! This September 1955 photo (blurry, yes) shows the first in a series of annual events in which owners of antique autos displayed their Model Ts, Appersons, Moons, Hupmobiles, Colt Runabouts, Packards, Stutz Bearcats, and so on. A parade down Main Street was part of the jollification; I can't count myself as a card-carrying car nut, but I do love antique autos! There's just something about 'em.


Here's the front of a flyer showcasing the fun to be had at the 1958 "Jamboree"; It's nice to see Horace Horsecollar and Clarabelle Cow, who were mostly retired by '58. They were still happily married and living in Palm Springs.


Some fun, eh kids?


Souvenir time! I bought this funny little metal plaque years ago. Cheap! The back looks like it had adhesive on it, which has happily lost its stickiness. I'm not sure if a "Disneyland Rally" had any relation to the antique auto displays... the "Sports Car Club of America" must have been something different. Does anybody have a clue?


Now we move over to the Red Wagon Inn, where Goofy and The Mad Hatter are causing a scene. I don't know why, but I like observing the faces and body language of the folks waiting for a moment with each of these great Americans. (Or is the Mad Hatter a Brit?). The little girl in the foreground, with the mouse ears, looks so much like a girl I used to date (a kid version of her, I should say!). Maybe it IS her!


And lastly, more blurry fun, this time from 1957. Why would a parent not let the kid drive? Unless they couldn't reach the gas pedal of course. I seem to recall that the last time I drove an Autopia car, you had to apply about 10 billion pounds of force per square inch to keep the pedal down. I was exhausted by the time the ride was over!

4 comments:

Jason Schultz said...

It's great that you have material with the accompanying dates, so I don't have to dig around in the newspapers. :)

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Super post, nice to see Horace Horsecollar and Clarabelle Cow in Disneyland! I knew Progressland would be all over that fact sheet. Vintage Cars and Disneyland, what a combo, thanks!

Anonymous said...

The VSCCA (Vintage Sports Car Club of America) is the oldest vintage preservation car club in America that has meets and rallys. They do not just display the cars, but drive and race them.

Nancy said...

hey, i love a good car cruise!! these are great photos, possibly one of a kind items you have there, very cool :)

we often managed to end up behind a "too little" driver when we rode took a spin on Autopia