Friday, November 28, 2008

Rodent trouble, February 1962

Today I have a few fun pictures from 1962, showing that most famous of cartoon mice. He's dressed a bit formally, with that top-hat and tails; but after all he IS greeting guests as they enter the park that had become his home. And he knows that first impressions are important.

Our photographer saw his chance to take a nice portrait of Mickey... there's not a soul around. It's perfect! But then this Cub Scout barges in and ruins everything. I'd be angry except that Ricky looks so darn excited!


It looks like the Cub Scout realizes that he has ruined another photo. The "Oh NO!" expression on his face is priceless. Even Mickey looks amused.


Ah Minnie, your smiling face, flowered hat, and outrageous ensemble (the very latest from Milan) always makes my day. Ditch Mickey and run away with me, you temptress!

7 comments:

Kevin Kidney said...

Great images!
Many will (enthusiastically, I'm sure) disagree with me, but this is my personal favorite generation of Mickey & Minnie. In spite of their lumps and useless arms, I just wanna hug 'em.

spajadigit said...

Hahaha. I fall into that disagreement category. I think they look terrible.

That said, these pictures of them are awesome!

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Ditto on the disagreement part (still love ya Kevin). That pair of rodents would give me nightmares for years if one of them hugged me. Those lumps and useless arms are right our of a 3rd season Twilight Zone episode! That said, great pics of the attraction posters, I really did the Tom Sawyer/Frontierland one, do you that one?!

Katella Gate said...

Oddly, Thanksgiving is the day I most associate with Disneyland... because for most of the 60's and 70's our family made a point of visiting the park on Thanksgiving Day since the park was almost completely empty. We had the traditional meal one day later.

During the 80's, I'm sorry to say most of the traditional homemakers who actually cooked for themselves had passed away, and the reason for Americans to stay home with family disappeared, and naturally some of them decided to go to the park as well.

It got to the point that we simply stopped going because the park was as crowded (if not more so) than any other holiday.

Anonymous said...

I dunno. That Minnie costume is pretty fun. I one I think is weird is the Mickey that was on the opening day broadcast.

Major Pepperidge said...

I've heard other people say that his was a scary Mickey/Minnie. I think they're pretty cute myself, more appealing than his corporate streamlined appearance today. There's something about the big heads and silly costumes too....

Nancy said...

YIKES was the first word that came to mind for me....sorry!

on the positive side, we do get to see 3 of the awesome attraction posters :)