Saturday, November 29, 2008

A Quartet from April 1974

Today I have four photos from 1974!

First up is this picture of the Submarine Voyage's "Seawolf". The real Seawolf was the U.S. Navy's second nuclear submarine (the USS Nautilus being the first), and the only U.S. submarine built with a liquid metal cooled (sodium) nuclear reactor. So now you know! It appears that it wasn't in use the day this photo was taken.


But don't worry, as we can see from this aerial view, there were at least four subs in use (and probably one or two others inside the show building). They are kind of backed up, which reminds me of the last minutes spent staring at the barnacles outside the porthole, waiting to disembark. One time we could hear the fireworks starting, and in fact we missed the whole show.


Here's another familiar Skyway view of the Pirate Ship. Captain Hook moved in, but I think you could still get a good tuna sandwich! Look at the wake coming off of the bow, that thing must be going at least seven knots!


And finally, the other square-rigged ship at Disneyland. I'm not even going to say its name, how do you like them apples? But it rhymes with "folumbia".

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

The waterfall the subs emerge from isn't falling.

Likewise the pirate ship in Skull Cove was still plowing through the waters but hadn't moved an inch in 19 years. It's magic! Still maybe they still had sandwiches? After all Cap'n Hook could get bigger tuna. :)

Beautiful ship, Columbia.

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Would it be the grand Bolumbia? I hear she was a fine ship....

Pirate ship photo is awesome! Chiana, do you mean shes not really moving?????

PTA Transit Authority said...

Fantastic pictures Major. Love them subs and ships. By the way I am still having nightmares about yesterday Mickey & Minnie.

Katella Gate said...

Funny how Capt'n Hooks ship (does it have a name?) went nowhere, had no theme song, did nothing, sold nothing but sandwiches, and yet is universally missed?

Riddle me that, Batman.

Anonymous said...

Hey Major - We've seen countless photos of the exterior of the Chix 'O The Sea pirate ship, but what did it look like on the INSIDE??

Major Pepperidge said...

Katella Gate, it WAS basically a restaurant, but come on... look at it! A glorious piece of eye candy if ever there was one. And don't forget the accompanying Skull Rock!

Anonymous, I have no photos of the interior, believe me I wish I did. The E-Ticket magazine had an issue featuring the ship, but I can't recall if it had any interior shots.

Thanks for the fun comments, I'm back from my trip and I appreciate the continued interest!

Anonymous said...

Thaaaat's right Vintage. The Pirate ship was stationary, having been run aground by the previous owner. That Chicken of the Sea was no creme puff! That's why they had to demolish it in place; they couldn't sail her nowheres and WindWagon Smith was unavailable.

hehe

Nancy said...

another nice day...

it never occurred to me that the pirate ship might sail (prolly because it was a restaurant) :}

interesting to know!