Thursday, February 01, 2007

Disneyland RR & Stagecoach

Late again, sorry! I might be late tomorrow as well...my schedule has been erratic to say the least. But here are two nice photos for you to peruse...

Let us return to August 13, 1955! As we walk towards the entrance to Disneyland, we observe the sparse plantings on the hillside. A real old-fashioned steam locomotive has just left the train station, let's ride that one first! Can you imagine hopping back in time and being able to view the park only weeks after it had opened, from the vantage point of the train?

I've had this slide for a long time, and the fact that it is blurry is somewhat heartbreaking, since it would be a spectacular shot of the Stagecoach if it was in focus. But I thought I would share it anyway, since it neat to see the coach going through this part of the living desert (apparently after a rainy spell).

6 comments:

Daveland said...

Major - no apologies necessary - that is a fantastic and unusual view of the stagecoach. Also - I believe the train in your pic is #2, the E.P. Ripley. Great post!

Hannibal8 said...

I was just at the park today, and the train picture got me thinking... what do they have in place of the barbed wire fence now-a-days? I'll have to pay more attention next time I go. It must be something more elegant beause it just doesn't stand out. Which is a good thing...

Matterhorn1959 said...

Hannibal8- I like the barbed wire chain link fence. It is just so 1950s and early. And the stagecoach shot is great, I would say an artistic shot showing speed and movement.

Hrundi V. Bakshi said...

Man, I love that Stagecoach shot! The people in the coach seem content to look out the sides . . . . . but by the end of the ride - just how much mud was getting thrown up in the air (and in their direction) by the wheels?! If you've ever ridden an 'un-fendered' bicycle you'll get an idea . . . .

I never even imagined a rainy day ride in the early Frontierland on ANYTHING before . . . .

Did they shut down the Pack Mules? Did people sometimes catch downours in the outlying areas of Nature's Wonderland?

A train ride that is both at times damp and dry (in the caverns)? Cool! The thought had never entered my mind . . . .

Anonymous said...

Anybody notice the direction the barbed wire is angled. Was Walt trying to keep guests from escaping before they'd had enough fun?

Anonymous said...

Early morning California fog which lasted untill just before noon sometimes. Not blurry from film but fog. Nice..very nice. An Early Californian grin