Monday, February 19, 2007

Indian War Canoes


Today is officially "Canoe Day". You probably didn't know it because I just made it up, but it IS official. Please take your canoe to work. In this first (grainy!) image, we see a fully loaded war canoe heading past the shore of Tom Sawyer Island. I've never noticed the furrowed area before, I am assuming that this is where the peaceful Indian tribe is preparing to grow corn. Indians used corn to make all kinds of dietary staples, such as Doritos.


Next we see two canoes. When was the last time you saw more than one canoe on the water at Disneyland? You can see the feathers of the brave Indian guide's headdress in the closer vessel. They're headed right for us! But don't be afraid, they are friendly. They just call their canoes "war canoes" because the ladies love it.

3 comments:

Merlinsguy said...

You are on a roll tonight, Gorilla! Nice descriptions. I think you went to a new level.

Amazon Belle said...

WARNING: Long Post

Major, I would like to say thank you for the publicly acknowledging Canoe Day. I am the proud owner of an Old Town, Discovery canoe. It was difficult getting it into the elevator but I know my co-workers and boss greatly appreciated it… I think they may have been a little envious too.

Now, regarding this photo business… I too have never noticed the “furrowed area before.” Nor have I ever seen a picture of it, nor did I know they ever did it! According to that wonderful McKim “Fun Map” the Friendly Indian village is in the background of the photo and the “Un-Friendly Indians” are located left of the furrows, next to Fort Wilderness (which never made any sense to me), so I guess it would be there furrows… but does anyone know if they ever planted corn in this soil? How cool would that have been? Thanks for the great photo! Keep up the great work my friend and don’t grow weary of well doing! By the way you can check out the Friendly Indians at http://www.friendlyindians.com

Major Pepperidge said...

Wow, hard to beat comments like that, thanks!