Sunday, February 04, 2007

Odds and Ends

Today I decided to post some miscellaneous odds and ends. Maybe, grouped together, they make an interesting post! First up I thought I'd show this image of a little mountain village from Storybook Land. You can almost imagine gangs of yodeling teenagers keeping hardworking toymakers awake. Perkypickle, didn't you need a shot of this area? Hopefully this shows whatever you were looking for.

I love this next picture! There was an entire lot of slides with this swingin' couple (the lady on the left is a mystery). In every photo, the woman on the right was dressed like a former Las Vegas showgirl. Lots of fringe, bared midriff, big hair, and groovy accessories. The gentleman often had a gold medallion around his neck, and he was partial to kimonos. And they went to a lot of parties! All three folks have that paper ticket on a string, was that some sort of pass?

OK, I know that the photo below was taken from a Jungle Cruise boat as it returned to civilization. But what is the name of the restaurant that had this musical trio? This was from way before the Tahitian Terrace. I could do some research, but that would involve effort!

And finally, here's another slide from August 13, 1955. There aren't too many people around, maybe it's early morning. In fact it MUST be early morning...see the milkman climbing aboard?

9 comments:

Daveland said...

Major! You are killin' me today! I want more of the Vegas Trio! I think the guy’s tag is something he forgot to remove from the thrift store; and the Priscilla Presley wannabe is great! As for the "Tahitian Terrace" shot; Matterhorn once referred to an early shot of this area as the Tahitian Terrace also; it was my understanding that the restaurant there wasn't named/open until 1962. Was it always called TT or did it operate under a different name & concept pre-1962?

Matterhorn1959 said...

The area was called the Pavilion Lanai from 1955 to 1962, and then Tahitian Terrace from 1962 until its demise and re birth(?) as Aladdin's Oasis. On Tiki Central about a year ago there was a post that shows ladies at the restaurant and on one of the shields is Tommy Ai...(unreadable) and his Hawaiianaires. I would say the band is the Hawaiianaires.

I think the stringed ticket was a special event ticket, maybe the couple were there for a convention of shriners? I would love to see more images of the couple.

Massimo said...

The Vegas couple is amazing! Can we have some more?

Hrundi V. Bakshi said...

Another vote for more pix of the Hipsters . . .

Tinker Bell said...

All right, I don't want to be left out. :P Bring on the Vegas couple!

thepicklebarrel said...

major! that post is major!

on the storybookland shot...wow! just the angle on that second grouping of houses.

only problem is, it creates more trouble for me...what i hoped would be there isnt there. the search continues....

Major Pepperidge said...

I had no idea the swingers would be so popular! And I am sorry to say that I don't think I kept their slides - - sold 'em on ebay. There were a few in which the woman was just a bit younger and she looked pretty darn nice!

Peter VINCENT said...

oh no! You sold "the swingers" on ebay. I bet there was a good story in there somewhere.
Great pix. Every time I visit this site or "Daveland" or "Stuff from the Park" I tell myself tonight's the night I dig out my pictures from Disney World (circa early 70's) and post them to my blog. And every night I go home and fall asleep in front of the TV.

Connie Moreno said...

That lady with the big hair is my hero!!! I love the look!! You GO, girl!