Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Fantasyland, November 1961

Happy Valentine's Day, everyone!


There sure is a lot going on in this photo! I love all of the colors and patterns. And of course when you were there you had sounds, smells, and movement as well! Our Skyway bucket is just passing over Casey Jr. (and the fanciful ticket booth for that attraction), soon to be going past the Teacups and a Fantasyland eatery to the left. And I believe that the colorful façade of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride is just to the right.

I've put the original slide away, and am not 100% sure where it is (sometimes I scan these many weeks in advance). But there is a mystery...according to most sources, the Rocket to the Moon should have Douglas markings by 1961, and yet it sure looks like the TWA paint scheme to me. So either I screwed up or somebody's info is wrong!

9 comments:

Tinker Bell said...

Whoa! That picture literally jumps to life! What a great one.
Happy Valentine's Day to you, too! :)

Daveland said...

What an interesting angle - has a little of everything. Very nice post, Major!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for all the wonderful pictures of the Disneyland I love - even if most of it is just in my memories. I really miss those buckets.
I would like to know the best way to scan old slides. What do I need to do this? Right now I have one of those All in One HP scanners, but I don't see anything about scanning slides in the instructions. Any help in this would be most appreciated.

Major Pepperidge said...

Thanks for the nice comments, folks!

debbie v, please give me some kind of way to contact you...email address or something (maybe leave another comment with the address, and use the word "at" instead of the @ symbol, and "dot" instead of the period), and hopefully I can help. All In One scanners might not be able to scan transparencies.

Mark London said...

Awesome. A time before magical colors became banned from the Kingdom by the beige painting anti-Walts!

Peter VINCENT said...

Wow! What a great photo. The Tinkerbell post said it best "That picture literally jumps to life!"
Regards
PV

Samsara said...

That has got to be the "most" photo I have ever seen. Especially so impromptu and in your travels.

Wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I realize now I didn't sign in. my email - dkvietzke@insightbb.com
Thank you so much for all you do. I have some old slides I would love to scan and print for my parents - they are getting up there in years (82). If need be, I will get an additional scanner. Any advice you can give will be appreciated.

ON another note: there are some great videos of the Skyway on YouTube - including one from 1985 that I really enjoy - goes over the Tomorrowland Terrace with a band playing - no dancers thought :)

Anonymous said...

Okay - I think I've fixed something.