Monday, July 30, 2012

Stereo Images in 2D

Man, stereo photography is pretty great. One image for each eye bone creates the illusion of depth. It's just like being there! But... it's hard to share that experience with others. I've tried to make animated gifs that flicker quickly from one picture to the other, with limited success. Too jittery, likely to induce seizures. You'll see one of my better attempts in an upcoming post, but until then you are stuck with plain old 2-D photos. Sorry!

This first picture is from July 17, 1968. A significant and fun day, unless you suffer from triskaidekaphobia. As the Monorail headed through the massive parking lot (now DCA!), our photographer managed to capture a surprisingly clear image. Look, in the distance you can see the space-age Anaheim convention center. The flying saucer design was not just cool to look at; in case of a nuclear attack, it could fly to the moon.


Over at the Tomorrowland stage, near the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea walk-thru attraction, a lucky person might have seen any number of wonderful bands. Like legendary big band leader and clarinetist Woody Herman and his Swingin' Herd! Not to be confused with his Thundering Herd or his Third Herd. I have quite a number of photos of Woody playing at the Plaza Gardens in the early 70's which you will see in future posts.


9 comments:

Thufer said...

Monday Morning Parking Lot Love. TY!

K. Martinez said...

How does July 17, 1968 relate to Triskaidekahobia? I thought it was the fear of number 13.

Both pics are great. Love the openness and view of the parking lot and Anaheim Convention Center.

Looking forward to those Woody Herman images from Plaza Gardens. That was my favoriteera at the Park.

Major Pepperidge said...

Thufer, YW!

K. Martinez, that day would have been Disneyland's 13th birthday! It's surprising to see how much older Woody looks in the 1970's pix... maybe he just stopped coloring his hair.

K. Martinez said...

Major, that’s a good one! I figured I was missing something. I never even thought about the 13th birthday aspect.

JG said...

Major, with Thufer, I praise that picture of the parking lot.

That was the view I remember, looking across the sea of cars to the Flying Saucer across the street. I remember it under construction, what a weird 60's shape.

I used to wonder what it would be like to skateboard down the "ramp" at the front of the dome, of course, a pad would be needed to land on...

I have been looking at old aerial shots on the Disneyland Hotel blog, surprised to see that the parking lot did not always stretch to Katella Ave. In the early 60's apparently, there still orange trees in the southern half of the block.

Right at the bottom in the pic, there is a teal green station wagon with the doors open, from here, it looks like our 196_ Oldsmobile. So I'm going to say the person standing outside it is my Dad, because, he could be...

Thank you Major. So much.

JG

Melissa said...

The original Carsland!

Nanook said...

Melissa nailed it-!

Major Pepperidge said...

K. Martinez, at least i did my math correctly this time (unlike a previous post)!!

JG, I know that most people reading this wonder why a parking lot gets so much love, but it's a case of "you had to be there"! I don't think I ever wondered about skateboarding down the swoopy convention center building, but now that the idea is out there, they'd better post lots of security guards! My family had a green Buick station wagon, not teal green but sort of a pearly pea green. It was nicer than it sounds!!

Melissa gets a gold star and/or a cigar! Your choice.

Nanook, obviously I agree.

Nancy said...

Look at all those lovely cars!!

The red Doodlebug van stands out for me. I always love the way those VW engines sound