Sunday, July 29, 2012

Murk McGurk, October 1967

For some reason, several of the images in an otherwise very nice lot from October 1967 are rather dark and murky. Did somebody reverse the polarity of some tachyons? Was it a gypsy curse? Was Venus transiting the sun? Could this be the massive flea infestation of '67?

Anyway, I am not going on any of those Fantasyland rides. Way too dark and creepy. You just know there are ne'er do wells loitering in the shadows. Normally this is such a happy land, so it feels extra gloomy.


New Orleans Square... maybe a storm's a-brewin'. Some of the haunted ambiance leaked out of the yet-to-open Haunted Mansion, and hundreds of push brooms were needed to sweep it all back.


As a rule I would want to be heading in towards Tomorrowland, but in this case I am glad that we are heading away from it. Moon dust everywhere. Did you know that the moon smells like gunpowder? It's true! Read about it here. See what you learn when you least expect it?


10 comments:

Nanook said...

"A ne'er-do-well" - eh-? Pretty soon you'll be tossin' around such words as 'hobo' and 'flop house'. Heavens-!!

TokyoMagic! said...

The cast member at the little cart next to the drinking fountain (second pic) is leaning against the cart. Bad show!

In that third pic, there is a blue PeopleMover car coming out of the Carousel Theater building and right in front of it is a yellow one. Then there is a huge empty gap in front of that one. What gives?

Nancy said...

Ill take murky, I dont care as long as I am at Disneyland!!

Maybe it was a pirate curse or something coming over the Lands that day, spreading from NOS to Fantasyland, so I am hopping on the Skyway to enter another dimension.

Look at all of those cool Skyway buckets along with THREE (count em', 3) Peoplemover cars and then just a quick peek at Monorail Red Looks like I made it!!

Snow White Archive said...

Can't get enough of the pre-refurb Fantasyland pics! Even with the flea infestation.

Major Pepperidge said...

Nanook, oh, I toss around words alright! I wanted to use "Brobdingnagian" but try as I might it was too heavy.

TokyoMagic!, she was probably smoking a cigarette and picking her teeth with a switchblade too. I love her. I can't explain the Peoplemover gap, but the cart girl was probably responsible somehow.

Nancy, I know you like the bright sunny pix, but I'm glad that you like these too. It is strange that all of the other photos in this lot are clear and bright.

Snow White Archive, there IS something great about that old Fantasyland, isn't there?

Alonzo P Hawk said...

I checked the Disney Almanac and there was a manic depressives day at Disneyland around that time.

All the debbie downers could have pooled their collective negative energy and willed a gloomy day before their arival.

Alonzo P Hawk said...

BTW, great #3 shot looking back at t-land skyway station, the peoplemovers playing bumper cars and the bubbling sub lagoon.

Nanook said...

"Brobdingnagian"-? Well, there was an idea for Lilliputian Land. I'm certain you can work it in there somehow: ...crushing the Lilliputians...

Melissa said...

The rooftop-scape of Old Fantasyland (and to an extent, current WDW FL) looks like something out of a golden-age Disney cartoon, which delights me to no end. Mind, NEW FL is eye-poppingly gorgeous, but in a different way. I'm glad we have both styles in the US parks.

JG said...

Major, these are great photos, murk or not. I love them all, but the last one is top-notch. Still, it's sad to be leaving Tomorrowland.

One thing I always loved about the Skyway was the brief glimpses of the backstage areas and the roof of the Castle. Something awesome about Mr. Toad's Air Conditioner.

JG