Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Knott's Train and Calico Mine Ride, October 1967

How'sabout two great images from Knott's Berry Farm? You gots it.

I love photos taken from this angle looking down into Calico Square; the photographer was standing in the queue for the Calico Mine Train (smart man) and noticed how neat this looked from a giraffe's-eye view. The locomotive (one of a pair) is something that I never get tired of! Bad news though... you can't buy a Zima at the Calico Saloon.


Now we do the old switcheroo, and look up at the Mine Train from Calico Square. I did it just by wiggling my nose (which explains the xylophone noise you heard). The little ticket booth to our right was recently removed for some reason, but otherwise this attraction is very much like it was way back when. Thank goodness.


8 comments:

TokyoMagic! said...

I miss that view of Calico Square. Today there is a huge ugly stage sitting in the square. I also miss those trees!

Major Pepperidge said...

TokyoMagic!, I remember that stage jutting out into the square. I miss the trees too... they added so much to the ambiance of the park!

Anonymous said...

The trees made the place, sad to hear they are gone.

I do love the Mine Train, the sounds of the chain ratchet, smells of steam, the fake explosions with green flashes, the obvious dummies, it was wonderful.

JG

K. Martinez said...

As a small child my itty bitty brain processed the Calico Mine Train and Disneyland Mine Train as a singular ride experience, but it wasn’t too long before I sorted it out that they were two distinct and separate attractions from two different parks. One of the few reasons I still go to Knott’s Berry Farm is the Mine Train. What a classic!

The Viewliner Limited said...

Nothing like that great locomotive Major. Beautiful pic.

Alonzo P Hawk said...

I love how the Knott's locomotives look well warn. The boiler has more dents than a junkyard Pinto. Not the spit and polish like at Disney. The galloping Goose is my favorite. A school bus on rails.

Knott'sAfterDark said...

Wow, so many cool elements and details in these two photos that are no longer there! Calico Square before the stage with Marilyn and Cecelia out there (they are currently on display outside of the Calico Saloon), the Mine Ride ticket booth, and the rock benches outside the Mine Ride, just to name a few! Thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Hello there I am so thrilled I found your site, I really found
you by accident, while I was looking on Digg for something else, Regardless I am here now and would just
like to say thanks a lot for a fantastic post and
a all round entertaining blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have
time to read it all at the minute but I have book-marked
it and also added your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be
back to read more, Please do keep up the great b.

my website :: cute comforters