Saturday, July 21, 2012

SATURDAY - Hither and Yon

Today's "Anything Goes" installment consists of a somewhat random assortment of images from around the USA.

Let's start with this photo of the old entrance to Honolulu International Airport. Isn't it adorable? In the days before airplanes routinely flew across the Pacific Ocean nonstop, Honolulu was the place to land. Which made it one of the busiest airports in the world. Now? Not so much. While this slide is undated, it has to be from between 1951 and 1962. I know, I know, Hawaii didn't become a state until 1959, but I am still counting this as "from around the USA". Deal with it!


Here's what you will see today. 


And now, a mystery for all you smarties to try to solve! This street is somewhere in Texas (notice the sign for the "Texas Power & Light Co."... but where? I sure have no idea. In the past you guys have amazed me with your ability to identify what I thought would be an obscure street in the middle of nowhere. Can it happen again?!


Now we'll head east to York, Pennsylvania (located about 20 miles south of Harrisburg, the state capital). As you can see, a fair of some kind is going on. The large brick building in the background says "York Fair"... bingo! The York Fair claims to be the country's oldest, tracing its roots to 1765. According to Wikipedia, ....In addition to typical fair attractions, such as rides, games and contests, it also wins local recognition for hosting many (usually country) musical artists, such as Alabama, Gretchen Wilson, Carrie Underwood, Toby Keith, and Lynyrd Skynyrd. Weeeee doggies!


I hope you have enjoyed flittering hither and yon!

9 comments:

TokyoMagic! said...

I see an "Autopia" car on the far right side of that York Fair pic!

Chiana_Chat said...

Wow what a contrast in airports. I know which one I'd rather be at and sadly it isn't the present one.

D ticket said...

It's Plano, Texas.

East 15th Street, now known as Bicycle Route 14, between K and J Avenue.

It can happen again, all you gotta do is ask.

Alonzo P Hawk said...

Cool shot. Nothing's as rare as a Running Corvair!!

Major Pepperidge said...

TokyoMagic!, yes, I forgot to point out the little car! Those wrap-around bumpers sure look like the ones on Autopia cars.

Chiana, I couldn't agree more.

D ticket, amazing! How the heck did you know? Was there a clue in the picture that helped, or do you just have an encyclopedic knowledge of every street in America?

Alnonzo, ha ha!

K. Martinez said...

Not really a good pic of the current airport.

Perhaps I'm biased because I pass through Honolulu International almost every year and Oahu is my second home, but I like it fine.

I always enjoy walking through the open-air walkways taking in the garden views and warm breezes. If I arrive at night it's great to see the torches all lit up in the gardens.

Many memories for me of saying hello and goodbye to family and friends here. It's still a beautiful airport as airports go to me.

Nanook said...

The "autopia" car resembles one style used at Pacific Ocean Park (California) for their Pacific Ocean Highway Autopia. And I believe the cars were of German manufacture.

dfan07 said...

D Ticket is exactly right. I Googled "Harrington Pharmacy" and put the address into Google Earth.

JG said...

Re: Plano TX. I have a 1963 Chevy truck,exactly like the one on the right side of the street in the photo. It was originally that color too. Still driving it, 200,000+ miles.

The truck behind the Corvair is a later model, so this photo could be 1965-66.

Major, thank you for this great picture.

JG