Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Balloon Sellers, July 1965

If I didn't know better, I would swear that this guy is holding 99 luftballoons. Disneyland went the extra mile and sold luftballoons instead of plain old balloons! This first pic is another example that was shot on Disneyland's 13th birthday, July 17 1965. Somewhere in one of my boxes of junk I have a deflated Mickey ear balloon just like the kind you see here (mine is yellow) - only mine can't have been from the 60's. It's sort of dried-up and crusty, but I still love it.


From the same photographer, this picture was taken on July 15 1965. Is he somewhere up closer to the castle? This fellow's balloon technique is totally different from the other guy; he holds them close so they don't tangle and make that bumping balloony noise. YOU know what I'm talking about.


It must be entertaining to watch these guys when the Santa Ana winds are gusting at 40 miles per hour. Maybe they suspend balloon sales on those days?

9 comments:

Chiana_Chat said...

No, for windier days they hired a heavier balloon seller.

You're kinda the opposite of those butterfingered kids who let their balloons go, Maj?

氣球 said...

Actual German would be Luftballons (spelled like the French way) which means air balloon.

In the second slide, he may be protecting them from that pointy thing behind him.

Debbie V. said...

I like how the second guy is looking right into the camera.
I wonder if that tree behind him was there before Disneyland. That gnarly trunk seems older than 10 years but maybe not.
Kids do still love balloons.

Major Pepperidge said...

Chiana, I did once lose a Disneyland balloon, but it wasn't until we'd arrived home, I stepped out of the car, and somehow lost my grip. Seems like we could see it for a loooong time, getting smaller and smaller!

氣球, believe it or not, I actually looked up how to spell Luftballons (by looking up the song by Nena on Wikipedia), but decided that "silly" was the way to go! And you're right, nearby trees, bushes, and whatever that other pointy thing is were probably deadly to many balloons.

Debbie V, balloon guy #2 does look awfully intense (or unhappy?). Or he just has the sun in his face. And many of the trees at Disneyland are older trees, carefully transplanted from elsewhere!

K. Martinez said...

I'm surprised not to see any tencennial signs or banners in these images.

That balloon seller's outfit is ultra cool! The outfits "cast members" wear today are bland.

Tom said...

13th birthday? 1965? Is it the helium or plain old inflation?

Major Pepperidge said...

K Martinez, I would imagine that there were banners somewhere.... you can't see much of the background in these pix!

Tom, MY BAD! Wow, that's what I get for writing 15 posts in one day (which I actually did). By the end I must have been brain dead. The only thing I can think of is that some of the slides in this set are from the 13th birthday (1968), and I automatically went "July 17 equals 13th anniversary".

Melissa said...

I kept my 1983 Mickey balloon for decades.

Nancy said...

Balloon seller techniques...what we dont learn here from The Major!?!