Saturday, February 05, 2011

Stormy Day, August 1957

I don't know if I've ever seen a more ominous sky in any photo of Disneyland. It's the End of Days! I realize that it is partially a trick of the film stock and the exposure; but I prefer my "gloom and doom" theory. It's way more fun. Incidentally, tiny toads later rained down upon the park.


This one isn't quite as oppressive. It just occurred to me that a ride on the Jungle Cruise in the pouring rain would be pretty cool! If I'm ever at the park when it's raining, I'll have to be sure to do that. Oh wait, they don't have the awnings on the boats anymore. Never mind!

9 comments:

Thufer said...

Behold; A sky like a van der Meer cloud effect not seen since the days of the 10 Commandments!

Never in a full rain but several times on a misty, spit-y day I have rode the cruise and it adds such realism to the adventure.

Katella Gate said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katella Gate said...

I love Disneyland when it rains frogs. The squeamish flee and it culls the herd... Except for the French, they just stick their tongues out like catching snowflakes.

TokyoMagic! said...

After tiny "Toads" rained down, did a swarm of Jiminy Crickets descend upon the park?

I used to like to go to the park when the sky looked like that becuase it kept people away. Now, I don't know if it would. The park used to be empty on Super Bowl Sundays too, but that doesn't seem to work anymore either.

dfan07 said...

Actually, the boats' awnings are folded into the center, so if it rains, they can be unfolded. I'd keep a bailing bucket handy, just in case.

JG said...

Must have been Mr. Toad's wild ride after all.

Thanks Major!

JG

Jason Schultz said...

For your records, Major, it did not rain in August 1957. (There was a trace of rain in July 1957.)

Connie Moreno said...

In the second photo, what are all those umbrellas in the background? Obviously they are covering tables...so was that part of the Tahitian Terrace?

Major Pepperidge said...

Katella, I love the idea of French people catching tiny toads on their tongues!

dfan07, really? I'll have to pay more attention.

JG, you said it!

Progressland, it didn't rain WATER, but it did rain toads.

Connie, that was a place called the Tahitian Lanai!