Thursday, February 24, 2011

More Madurodam, August 1964

I know your secret. You really visit this blog on the odd chance that I may post photos of Madurodam, in The Netherlands. You actually hate it when I post photos of Disneyland day after day, you weep when you see photos from the New York World's Fair, you vomit when I share images from Knott's Berry Farm.

Well, today's your lucky day!

This first image is especially charming, with a little boy entranced by the scene before him. He's like Godzilla - remember that movie where Godzilla goes to that wedding? You know, when he falls in love with Mothra (who was a girl, after all) who was one of the maids of honor? They wind up slow dancing to "Three Times A Lady", which destroys Tokyo, as usual. I'm getting weepy just thinking about it.


Peering over the rooftops of a royal palace, we can see a grand procession of some sort going on...


Perhaps it's coronation day, or the king's (or queen's) birthday. Or it's just an excuse to be seen in that sweet golden coach. Let's see what this baby can do!

6 comments:

TokyoMagic! said...

Gee, now I feel ripped off because we don't get the chance to walk around Storybook Land!

Connie Moreno said...

Ya, what Tokyo said!

Vaughn said...

That first photo reminds me of "Honey I Blew Up The Baby" where he went stomping through Las Vegas saying "Nooo nap!"

Anonymous said...

The grand procession of some sort is "prinsjesdag" on "Het Binnenhof", the Dutch Parliament buildings in The Hague. The day that Parliament is officially opened by the Queen's speech in the Ridderzaal (Knights' Hall).

Major Pepperidge said...

Thank you for the additional information, Jax!

JG said...

Well, I like Madurodam, but not to the exclusion of my favorite theme parks. I would never vomit on Knotts of my favored memories. maybe the Knotts of today...hard to say.

This is cool, especially how you can be "in the scene", that would never work here. Of course, in Amsterdam, the canals don't have guardrails either.

JG