Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Montreal Expo 67

Welcome to "World's Fair Wednesday"! Today I'm returning to Montreal's Expo '67, which, as I've mentioned before, had the largest attendance of ANY world's fair.

First up is this lovely photo of Britain's pavilion: "The British presentation can be summed up in three words - Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow. It tells a compelling story, about a people who became a great nation and helped shape the history of the world. The pavilion housing it, set amid lagoons and moats to remind visitors of Britain's island heritage, is dominated by a 200-foot tower. It is on Ile Notre-Dame adjacent to the Expo-Express station." Hmm, I'm pretty sure I've heard of Britain!


That inverted pyramid was called the Katimavik, and is part of the Pavilion of Canada "... the Katimavik... dominates the buildings of the Canadian Pavilion. It takes its name from the Eskimo word for "gathering place", significant reminder of Canada's welcoming role as host to millions of visitors from every part of the world." Well alrighty!


There's the United States pavilion: "A huge transparent geodesic 'bubble' contains a multi-level system of exhibit platforms interconnected by escalators, and walkways. The platforms support a variety of exhibit components specially selected or designed for the new environment created by the structure.

Looks kinda like EPCOT's Spaceship Earth...


Let's get a bit closer! "Situated on Ile Sainte-Hélène close to the Métro station from which there is Minirail connection with the Expo-Express, the bubble is 20 stories high and has a spherical diameter of 250 feet.""


I stumbled across this startling image while doing research!


In 1976, during structural renovations, a fire burned away the dome's acrylic panels. The steel latticework was left behind, but the site remained closed until 1990. Since then, it was purchased, and transformed into a museum with new building constructed inside the dome. The museum addresses environmental issues related to climate change, water, and development.

8 comments:

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Neato Expo 67 pics, the most visited fair is the least talked about! Ok, I know the US Dome did burn in 1976, but is that a real photo with the globe on fire?????

Hrundi V. Bakshi said...

Egads that's a scary photo.

Katella Gate said...

Woah! I'm glad you saved that Irwin Allen shot for last! Absolutely NOT expected. My inner 10 year old enjoyed it immensely. It could only be better if M80s were somehow involved.

Matterhorn1959 said...

I just have a comment on the British Empire- even at this time the sun did not set on the empire. Many countries owe at least some of their cultural heritage to the British.

I am totally digging that last image...it is rare to see a fully engulfed building. I hope none of the workers were injured when the fire broke out.

mr wiggins said...

Holy flambe! That last photo reminds me of my 12-year-old mouth when I got into a Tabasco-eating contest with my kid brother at Casa de Fritos.

Chiana said...

and you forgot to sue Disney, mr. Wiggins? tee hee Easy with the Tabasco lest your tongue resemble a Frito!

Deffo an EPCOT sphere thing goin' there. 20 stories high, whew. Though I'm pretty sure the exhibit didn't have a shadow on the attraction EPCOT used to have in the ol' golf ball.

That inverted pyramid though... looks like there's quite a few peeps on it but um, I think I prefer the other buildings so far.

Neat shots. :)

Walter said...

I wonder what the attendance was for the British pavilion; in 1967, in Montreal (and all of Quebec), Britain (and most Anglophones) was not exactly the most loved nation.

Nancy said...

always enjoy a visit to the Fair, esp in the 60s/70s :)

scary image of a fire there....